Airfare Deals/Tricks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

To add to this, the day you purchase your ticket is a factor. Do not buy Friday through Monday. Prices go up on those days. Buy Tuesday through Thursday. Morning has even made a difference. I have also found that the prices tend to hit their lowest at the 4 week mark.

detroit diver:
Midweek. Tues, Wed, Thursday.

mikswi:
Genesis, I know your just down the road from where im going. What should I purchase for a wetsuit? I currently own a 7m for New England diving and I dive almost thru the winter, Late Nov early Dec- Then I pick up again around right about now, early Mar.

I have a reasonably high tolerance for the cold, can I get away with a 3m? My wife wont dive past Sept here so she will keep her 7m for down there.

Thanks and, would you consider taking on a charter? Judging by all of your previous post's and your avatar, I think you and I would hit it off well. Email me if your intrested.............

Second things first.... I don't do charters. But I will ALWAYS dive with people from Scubaboard under recreational vessel operation rules. All 'ya gotta do is let me know when you'll be here and how to get ahold of you; if its nice I'm usually out there; its a passion for me.

I don't handhold either (I don't believe in it, as I'm sure you know if you've read what I write around here) but that doesn't mean that there won't be something for 'ya - because there probably will be. We have a LOT of good diving around here, with depths from ~60' to 130+. Further out is generally deeper and FAR less trafficked; the best sites are typically from 100-130, and there'a blast. Fabulous natural structure and lots of wrecks, most artificial but a few "real" ones. Just look me up when you have dates.

A 7 mil full suit is going to be too much, unless your wife is a REAL cold blooded person. This last year at that time (first two weeks of November) the water temps were 73-75F in the relatively shallow stuff, and a degree or two warmer further offshore. I usually dive that with a 3 mil full suit and a 3 mil hooded vest under it; the vest is really optional, but I like the extra warmth on my head and chest, and I'm toasty. Looking back at my log, that's pretty typical for that time of year; it was "right up the middle", so I think you can reasonably count on temps no lower than 70F, and perhaps as high as 75-77F.

Keep in touch.

mikswi:
Hey All!
I need some advice. I am planning a trip for 4 to Panama City Beach this Oct 30 thru Nov 13, leaving from Hartford/Bradley (BDL) to Panama City Beach Airport (PFN). Whats the best way to find deals on air only? I did the conventional Expedia, CheapTickets, Travolocity etc, but they all list the same price. Is there some other way of getting really good airfare that I am not aware of? Am I not looking in the right places? I tried a travel agent but they were$50-$100 more then online.

While I haven't looked lately, the big discount carriers - Southwest, AirTran, and Jet Blue - weren't listed on Expedia, Travelocity, etc. You'll have to go to their Web sites. However, they tend to fly in and out of major cities, so I wouldn't expect them to serve PFN and perhaps not BDL. However, you may be able to save some money by driving (if necessary) to Boston, Providence, or NYC; flying into New Orleans, Jacksonville, Orlando, or Tampa; and then renting a car to drive to Panama City.

Back
Top Bottom