Airfare gurus, help a brother out? SFO to CZM in September

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jayjoans

Contributor
Reaction score
I'm having a heck of a time finding decent flights from SFO to CZM in September. It seems that with the merger of Continental and United, our preferred flights no longer exist. We would typically leave on a red eye from SFO, have a couple of hours layover in Houston and be at the pool by lunchtime in Cozumel. Now I can't find much of anything that isn't a)wildly expensive and/or b) has layovers that stretch the travel time into 25+hours.

I've tried the Matrix Airfare Search and Kayak, any other good places to look? I know that not all carriers are represented on all search sites.

Thanks.

Wait, a second search shows our flight available from the 7-14, but still, any other suggestions?

I would check flightstats.com and find out if any other airlines go to CZM. Maybe Virgin.

Also consider Cancun (CUN) and the bus/ferry option to Cozumel

www.tinyurl.com/7m3r6

Coming from LAX we see the same thing. It's hard or really expensive to have a travel time under 18 hours! We stayed over in houston at one of the cheap hotels just outside the airport. 8 hours of sleep and a 9 am flight. Last year we bit the bullet and pait $700+ to only have a few hours layover in IAH. I may be reconsidering the bag drag if Cancun stays so much cheaper (and I can fly direct some times).

Jay - September is a mess - I think United is only flying in on Saturdays! It's going to be a REAL issue for the 1/2 Ironman competitors! Getting here the day before the race is NOT ideal - and doing the bag drag from CUN to here with a bike is also a nightmare. Last year they ended up adding some flights for IM week - but who knows if they will do it again - it's crazy!

BUT - since you won't have bicycles with you - the Cancun option is not a bad one!

We're book on United out of SFO leaving Sunday August 25th at 12:20 am arriving in Cozumel at 11:03 am. Returning September 7th. We got it for $759 when we booked last December.

Cheapest looks like $521. For $17 more you skip the 2nd connection on the return.

Capture.jpg

I've overnighted at IAH several times coming from LAX or Ontario. This time I managed to get a 5:15 am flight that gets me on the island same day, I just have to get to the airport at 3:45 or so. That should be fun :(

I don't see the problem. Good fares almost every day, but you did not give enough info on preferences to look deeper...

sfoczm.JPG

The problem for us (from Phoenix) is getting to Houston early enough to catch the outgoing flight to Cozumel, doing a one day travel on a Saturday. I did some research the other day and found out that United changed their out going flights as of August 10th. After that date we must spend the night. Meaning, we must fly out on Friday, spend the night and then catch the Cozumel flight on Saturday.
Coming home is an easy one day travel.
I have not checked out American, which travels out of Dallas/Ft. Worth.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom