Airfare, ugh

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If the airfare does not come down to reasonable levels, I may go check out curacao instead this fall/winter. :)
Ran into the same issue. Wanted to return to Bonaire this year but air miles were ridiculous. 80,000 a piece. So we went ahead and booked Curacao. We've been before and had a great experience. 90% shore diving and it was not disappointing. We didn't see half of what I wanted to, so looking forward to going back. We're also going this fall. Sept./Oct. For 3 weeks. I'm pretty excited! Have you been before?

Right, prior years it was 70,000 for the 2 of us!!! More than double this year. We were already committed so we paid cash. $1,600 for the 2 of us direct ewr-bon so not too too bad... Not so sure for next year.

I think perhaps I'll just mention it's 29C air/27C water in Westpunt Curacao :whistling:

I think many divers will be priced out of those tickets, which suggests some other demographics are buying them and patronizing the ‘diver’s paradise’ island. I wonder if this will lead to a sea change (couldn’t resist) in Bonaire’s tourism focus?

Richard.

Given the severe decline in the quality of diving, the massive increase in cruise ship traffic/congestion/pollution, and massive hurricane impact reef damage in recent years, it's hard to believe it's divers flocking 'en masse' to Bonaire and running up the airfares. On other travel threads I've heard the theory that recent severe weather events (like the very destructive multiple Carribean hurricanes of 2017) knocked out many of the usual tropical vacation spots, so tourists are re-routing to the places that were spared those damages, which may be running up the travel demand to places like Bonaire.

Severe decline in diving quality...I don't know...I head down to Vista Blue, for example, and still pretty much like the shallower diving there....I also do some solo side mount diving in the 100' range and find the diving to still be excellent in many areas at that depth range (i.e. "coral valley" south of the rock).....assuming its true to that many divers will be priced out of Bonaire, maybe that will help with the severe decline in diving quality and the massive hurricane impact reef damage in recent years....just my 2 PSI of course...149 days and a wake up...

Given the severe decline in the quality of diving, the massive increase in cruise ship traffic/congestion/pollution, and massive hurricane impact reef damage in recent years, it's hard to believe it's divers flocking 'en masse' to Bonaire and running up the airfares.

Don't know what you are basing this on, but I was just there (Bonaire) and saw none of this.

On other travel threads I've heard the theory that recent severe weather events (like the very destructive multiple Carribean hurricanes of 2017) knocked out many of the usual tropical vacation spots, so tourists are re-routing to the places that were spared those damages, which may be running up the travel demand to places like Bonaire.

OK which is is? Bonaire is trashed or totally escaped the damage. Seems like you just want to bash Bonaire.

Given the severe decline in the quality of diving, the massive increase in cruise ship traffic/congestion/pollution, and massive hurricane impact reef damage in recent years, it's hard to believe it's divers flocking 'en masse' to Bonaire and running up the airfares. On other travel threads I've heard the theory that recent severe weather events (like the very destructive multiple Carribean hurricanes of 2017) knocked out many of the usual tropical vacation spots, so tourists are re-routing to the places that were spared those damages, which may be running up the travel demand to places like Bonaire.

Not sure where you get your info. In 2017 Bonaire had some Westerly storm surge that stirred things up and messed up the vis for a few weeks. The last hurricane that brushed the island, was Felix in 2007; it was a level 2 and passed N of the island. That storm is why Pink Beach isn't quite as pink today due to the odd storm surge it caused. But the reefs still look great.
If there was "massive" reef damage in Bonaire from a hurricane, it would make the news. Right now the only issue is the sargassum on the E coast. And the extra tourists that are going because the N end of the Caribbean did get hit by a hurricane.

Back
Top Bottom