airfares so high!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Two weeks from now? They have almost always charged more for short term planning, with some exceptions for empty planes that had to go anyway - but sales on those are rare. Why such late planning? Trips in the $700s start a week later, and I see $555 on December 1.

Many like to plan far in advance, like I want to book tickets to Yellowstone for next August as soon as I find a good deal, but they airline generally charge more on advance planning hoping we'll give in - lowering fares usually 3-8 weeks in advance.

You can get $689 from Greenville into & out of (GSP) for those dates, reasonable flights on United. Originating ATL, you can get Cancun much cheaper.

It would be difficult be catch an 8am flight out of Cancun, but doable and non-stop service...!

Or this may be better...

I agree with the other DD. IT is best to start looking 2 months out, that is when the airlines start getting desperate—we hope!

Dave Dillehay

Aldora Divers

I agree with the other DD. IT is best to start looking 2 months out, that is when the airlines start getting desperate—we hope!

Dave Dillehay

Aldora Divers
Unless they can fill all of their planes before then. And if there are sale seats to release in the final weeks, you may not like the flights. So many hard choices.

With my heart in Coz and a kid in Honolulu.... I have email alerts set up on various airline websites to let me know when prices from Seattle to either destination drops. This year has been the worst! There have been a few good deals to Cancun, but not screaming. Even the SEA/HNL has remained high with no great deals. I have the flexibility of grabbing a good deal when it comes up, and I've been able to get to Coz for $400 or less in the past. No such luck this year.

Granted - airfares from ATL are typically high, but does anyone know why they are so high now? (ATL to COZ $868) - hoping to travel Oct 8-15, but good grief...the fares have been bad and only getting worse...also bad from BHM, Greenville SC and anywhere within a day's drive....

Delta is the highest for sure! Try Southwest (have to go directly to their site) to CUN - very reasonable

Even when Southwest is not the cheapest fare, they offer 2 checked bags free. American's baggage fees may not make them the cheapest route in the long run. When American screws up,forgets to make the plane payment, forgets to book a crew, doesn't check the blinker fluid, etc..if you complain loud enough and long enough, you can get some pretty decent vouchers. If you can travel with very little baggage, there is always Spirit, but have never heard anything good about them except for the price. I've seen spirit for $200 round trip to Cancun out of Dallas. I sure it's more if you want to ride INSIDE the plane.

As Dave said, Cancun is often cheaper, but you have a $10 bus ride and a $10 ferry ride both ways. I kind of enjoy the "bag drag" but it adds 2 hrs to the trip each way. It's a long 2 hrs on the way home.

Check surrounding cities as well. Okc is often cheaper than flying out of Dallas, even when th OKC flight connects through Dallas. Go figure.

I have a friend that swears he can get cheaper flights doing "air only" with charter vacation company's like Fun Jet. That has never worked for me though.

Good luck, safe travels.
Jay

Even when Southwest is not the cheapest fare, they offer 2 checked bags free.
I always forget to check SWA. It looks like they have only one ATL_CUN flight on the 8th but the price is good at $257. Funny that they claim no flights CUN-ATL on the 15th?

I will never understand airfare.
It's not that you don't understand, it's just that there is information the airlines have that you don't have. Fares change with market conditions and what the market will bear, which are very volatile and about which you have no way of knowing in the sort of detail that the 'lines do.

I forgot to add...Tuesday mornings are usually the best times to book. Weekends seem to be the worst. I like Google Flights and Southwest Airlines site for the calendar of fares. Sometimes a day or two can make a big difference.

Jay

Kayak is a good resource as well - I've had good luck using that site. There is also a sweet spot for booking - either far in advance or within a couple of weeks have actually been when I've found the best fares. 1-2 months out is prime, because they figure they've got you trapped. Kayak will give you a likelihood of the price going up and they've usually been pretty accurate.

Last edited:
FAA controls airlines and guess what? it is run by ex airline employees which means it is a good old boys club which means the airlines can do anything they want and get away with it (rats are guarding the cheese). example. FAA allowed airlines to make 4 billion so far this yr just on luggage charges and normal seating space. Hubbing? don't help the customer but it allows the airlines to maximize capacity. Flight leaving on time? Hah, clock starts when door closed but plane can sit on tarmac for hrs. Fuel is cheap now but are fares going down any? Direct flights? A thing of the past. Scheduling? So tight any delay ripples all over the country. Preventative maintenance? Wait until it breaks. Delays? No spare planes so you are stuck until the airport closes. And guess what? it is only going to get worse. In the future flights that only have 1 stop will be a rarity. 5 hr layovers will be the norm. Delays, Airports now are deserted most of the day until all the planes land at the same time. remember musical chairs? Sitting on the tarmac cuz your planes assigned gate is still occupied. Rescheduling your trip in some crummy airport will become the norm. food? they are so cheap they won't even give you peanuts cuz they are a one half cent more than pretzels........can you say Moooooo????

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom