airfares/traveling from SFO

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

fuggler

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I figured I'd get more responses from locals here than the general travel forum...

For those who live in the Bay Area or use SFO as their main airport, what are the most convenient dive destinations outside of the US? (less than 12 hours of traveling and doesn't require more than 2 stops) Can you guys give me an example of how much a roundtrip ticket to a dive destination costs from SFO? Include the month + airline too. (example: Last month, I went to the Philippines and a roundtrip ticket on Philippine Airlines cost me $890.) Thanks... :)

Which airline was that on? The price is great.

I figured I'd get more responses from locals here than the general travel forum...

For those who live in the Bay Area or use SFO as their main airport, what are the most convenient dive destinations outside of the US? (less than 12 hours of traveling and doesn't require more than 2 stops) Can you guys give me an example of how much a roundtrip ticket to a dive destination costs from SFO? Include the month + airline too. (example: Last month, I went to the Philippines and a roundtrip ticket on Philippine Airlines cost me $890.) Thanks... :)

If your limiting the travel time to 12 hours, you are pretty much limited to Florida, the Caribbean or Hawaii for warm water. Easiest airlines in the Caribbean is Continental. one stop in Houston and then direct to Bonnaire, Roatan, Cayman, take your pick. Check the SF newspaper for the better prices through a travel agent than online. Last time I went to Roatan it was $600 rt and Bonnaire was $700 rt out of Sacramento, SF will be a little cheaper.

I'm guessing you'd also want to factor in the cost of diving, lodging and food?

There's cheap diving & lodging in Utilia Honduras, but Hawaii is closer. The overall daily cost really depends on how long you plan to stay.

I'd check travelzoo.com for good airline rates ;-).

If your limiting the travel time to 12 hours, you are pretty much limited to Florida, the Caribbean or Hawaii for warm water. Easiest airlines in the Caribbean is Continental. one stop in Houston and then direct to Bonnaire, Roatan, Cayman, take your pick. Check the SF newspaper for the better prices through a travel agent than online. Last time I went to Roatan it was $600 rt and Bonnaire was $700 rt out of Sacramento, SF will be a little cheaper.

Jon, I've been looking at airfares to Bonaire and Roatan for late May, and everything is $800+. I'm kinda getting discouraged, but I'm glad you mentioned it should be a little cheaper than that. Thanks. I've been using sidestep to compare different sites/prices.

I'm guessing you'd also want to factor in the cost of diving, lodging and food?

There's cheap diving & lodging in Utilia Honduras, but Hawaii is closer. The overall daily cost really depends on how long you plan to stay.

I'd check travelzoo.com for good airline rates ;-).

Thanks, Kathy. We can only do 9 days max for this trip. (Saving 2 weeks for Asia, hehe.) I have an idea of how much diving and lodging cost in most of the Caribbean destinations. Been reading about Bonaire, Belize, and Roatan, specifically. Hawaii (Oahu and Big Island) wasn't cheap when we went there in July. Gonna look up Maui...

This far out you are not going to get any deals on airfare. Wait until you are within 4-8 weeks of traveling, but you'll need to book a place to stay some time soon.

I went to Roatan in July 2009 on Continental Airlines for $666 air fare. Continental also charged an extra $25 each way for the second checked in bag. If you can carry on your personal items and check in your scuba gear or fit it all in one bag you'll save yourself $50.

Which airline was that on? The price is great.

continental, but prices have gone up again I hate that. glad that I got in cheap commpared to whats showing same dates now. I'll have to do alot of norcal diving to make sure I'm ready for the warm water and clear vis. :D

Back
Top Bottom