Airline Sticker Shock

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dave Dillehay

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
I have noticed a few posts lamenting the rise in airfares to Cozumel. First off, by Federal Law airlines must now advertise or list prices-- including all taxes and fees. Prior to this Continental always had a "listed" price that was more than $100 less than the actual price when it came time to pay. The difference being Mexican fees as well as US customs, and airport taxes, etc.

Secondly all recent prices have been listed during the very peak travel season.

I think you will always find strange fares, but I don't think it is any BIG change historically.

Dave Dillehay
Aldora Divers

Dave, the listed prices, which now include all the fees and taxes, were still way high($200, $300 or more) compared to what people have been paying in recent years past. I did just notice yesterday that prices have dropped closer to what I have been paying in the past. Right now from Houston to Cozumel the cheapest total airfare is $457. Not much more then what I have historically paid, and is acceptable due to high fuel cost.

Yes, we are heading down end of this week, and paid about $400 more for the wife and I above what we usually pay this time, after much shopping. Also, we usually fly on Frontier as we prefer their arrival time. However, they were almost double from last year. So this year we fly American Airlines for the first time.

As I mentioned in the thread I started, we would look for fares under $350 and could find them relatively often. Add the $100 in taxes and fees and we would pay the $450.

Currently, the fares are about $750.

$750 > $450. For my route, that is a BIG change.

I would have to agree with the first 3 posters. I am involved with organizing the ScubaBoard Cozumel Invasion. I am hearing from EVERYONE that fares are MUCH HIGHER than last year and it does not matter where they are traveling from.

This is not a tax or fee thing IMO. I think capacity and fuel are driving rates.

I think what Dave is trying to say that previously when doing a fare search, you would only see the actual ticket price - so you woudn't see the grand total of the ticket until purchase time.

Now, thee are showing the grand total including all of the taxes and fees when doing the initial search so you won't have a "surprise" when you actually go to pay for the ticket.

Still, airfares have undoubtedly gone up, and I understand it is still a difference for some people from some areas, but this is something to look at and keep in mind when you are fare shopping as well.

Last edited:
I have noticed a few posts lamenting the rise in airfares to Cozumel. First off, by Federal Law airlines must now advertise or list prices-- including all taxes and fees. Prior to this Continental always had a "listed" price that was more than $100 less than the actual price when it came time to pay. The difference being Mexican fees as well as US customs, and airport taxes, etc.

Secondly all recent prices have been listed during the very peak travel season.

I think you will always find strange fares, but I don't think it is any BIG change historically.

Dave Dillehay
Aldora Divers

Continental and US Airways has been showing total price for the last few years. I have never been hit with extras of any kind, except for the bag check fee and everyone knows you are going to pay that depending on how many bags you check.

Some of the Orbits and Travel sites might not have, but dealing direct with the airlines on their web sites (which I always do) it always showed the total price with the taxes broken out.. and has, at least for the last 2 or 3 years.

As far as price goes, take a look at my post where last March (same dates) I paid $382.00 round trip PHX (no special deals or coupons) to CZM and this year it was triple that.

I completely disagree with your statement (in a friendly way of course).

I think what Dave is trying to say that previously when doing a fare search, you would only see the actual ticket price - so you wouldn't see the grand total of the ticket until purchase time.

Now, thee are showing the grand total including all of the taxes and fees when doing the initial search so you won't have a "surprise" when you actually go to pay for the ticket.

The sites I normally use showed the TOTAL price which is the only way to mention airfare costs.

As an agent I can tell you that for sure air fares are up as you all have seen. Even consolidators are higher. And routes are shrinking. Flights for me personally to Little Cayman have changed dramatically in just the past year. I can find a flight with a single stop but most are now two connections just to get to Miami. Liquid Diving Adventures Scuba Diving Destinations - Vacation Specials - Liquid Diving Adventures

I'm pretty sure most folks knew taxes would be added when they were booking airfare before the airlines/travel sites were required to show them. If they didn't, then they saw it before they completed the transaction so they know what the total price was then, compared to what they are seeing now.

And yes, airfare prices have increased.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom