Airline tickets so expensive!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mrvllus

Registered
Reaction score
About a year ago, I could pickup tickets for around $500, now they are running closer to $800. Any ideas why the price jump?

Well for one thing they figured out that you can only lose money for so long.
I don't think the cheap airfare will be returning.

The baggage fees (while we may hate them) have been a financial lifesaver for many of the domestic carriers.

bummer, that was one of the attractive things about diving in Coz

Just bought tickets for March 20-26 for $450 from DC...but to Cancun and not Coz. Flying straight to Coz from DC is way more expensive.

Where are ya flyin from?
I can usually save $200-300 or more using the multi-city option on AA.com. We fly out of Chicago (ORD) which is a hub for AA. Fly into or out of Cancun (CUN) on one or both legs of your trip. If you can get to CUN non-stop you are going to save money. A lot has to do with where you start from though. Direct is best, if it is not direct from your home airport to CUN it may not be worth it. Last trip in the fall I did ORD - DFW- CZM to get there and on the way back CUN - ORD direct and saved about $275. I hope to see you on the Island. Do your homework. Good luck!

bummer, that was one of the attractive things about diving in Coz

Well, it's not just a Cozumel thing. Check flights to anywhere and you'll likely see the same thing.

I'm looking at flights to Tahiti right now and it's $2300.00 per person to get you to one of the outlying islands for the best diving. Basically about $1800 to get you to Tahiti and then almost another $500 for a 50 minute flight to another island.

Doubling the money supply is going to affect prices. Interesting to me that the first time we flew to Cancun in 1996 it cost about the same as this year. All years in between were cheaper. I think the airlines are doing a great job of selling us only what we want to pay for.

Brian

About a year ago, I could pickup tickets for around $500, now they are running closer to $800. Any ideas why the price jump?
Depends on where you are and when you want to travel. There's a lot more than you general claim.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom