Airlines and equipment

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

HVF21221

Reaction score
Do most people check there dive equipment or carry on. I am interested in regulator set-ups particularly. As a carry on, is a dive computer a hassle at the security checkpoint? I always have a fit with my underwater camera, case, and strobe. I have taken all my photos free diving but now the wife is getting certified.(Man this uw camera thing is going to get easier!) I've always checked my stuff but now I will have my wifes set and a dive computer. Also can anyone recommend a good dual reg set bag?
Thanks, Howard

I checked my gear on my recent trip to Playa del Carmen, but I carried my regs -- and computer -- in my carry-on. No problems with the computer at security, coming or going.

Ed

Always carry on regulator, compass, dive computer. Check BC, fins, mask, wetsuit. No problems at security.

I've carried my dive computer on flights to LA a couple of times no problem. Didn't even open up the bag to inspect it.

Cameras, computers (laptop and dive) get carried on. Housing and dive gear including regs get checked.

HVF21221:
Do most people check there dive equipment or carry on. I am interested in regulator set-ups particularly. As a carry on, is a dive computer a hassle at the security checkpoint? I always have a fit with my underwater camera, case, and strobe. I have taken all my photos free diving but now the wife is getting certified.(Man this uw camera thing is going to get easier!) I've always checked my stuff but now I will have my wifes set and a dive computer. Also can anyone recommend a good dual reg set bag?
Thanks, Howard

I got one of those padded "Regulator bags" that is the size of a small backpack. In fact it has stowable backpack straps that zip inside. I carry it on with the following: Regulator set, because I don't like to rent this if my baggae is late or lost, which has happened about 4 times. Dive computer, log book w/ C-card(s), shorts & T-shirt, tooth brush/paste, deoderant, sandals. These items will get you through a pinch if necessary. If there is room I add my mask. You may think of one or two other items for personal use that may fit. I have never had problems getting through security although they sometimes want to look at my computer. Oh, and a paperback or magazine for longer flights in the side pocket. BC's, etc. typically take up too much room to cary on but I want to be breathing through my own well maintained regs if something happens and fins are not necessarily "life support" so rented ones would be fine, so all that stuff gets checked.

I carry mine on with no problems. However, I have noticed that the knife sheath on my bc inflator hose gets very careful scrutiny; they know what belongs in there, and make very sure that it's empty.

I carry my regs, camera, and cannister light. Apparently my can light looks a lot like a pipe bomb. Allow extra time and pack a good amount of patience before heading to the airport.

HVF21221:
Thanks, Howard

I uses a rolling suitcase that meets the airline carry-on requirements. I pack the following in that carry-on suitcase:

BC
Regulator
Dive Computer & Retractor
Mask (prescription) and snorkel
Log book
C-Cards
Airline tickets

My daughter will be certified before we leave for Curacao this summer. She will have a similar carry-on with the same type of equipment.

My wife who does not dive has the third rolling carry-on which contains food (since the airlines do such a good job of feeding you these days), cameras and reading material.

Everyhting else goes in checked baggage.

I have never had any problems with the TSA or other customs personnel. They hand searched the carry-on bag a few times. Another time they did nothing but pass a wand over the bag after it came out of x-ray. My wife aasked the TSA person what the wand was used for. The TSA person told her that it sniffs for explosives residue.

I don't want to trust my life to rental life support diving equipment.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom