Airlines and equipment

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

catherine96821:
... Also, tipping the skycap is money well spent. Quite a few times they put that "you are special, priority tag" on my bags even when NOT flying first class just because they got the ten dollar tip...
I agree. Especially if you're going to be over that 50lb weight limit.

Chris

It is amazing how that over-weight dissapears but I get more honest as the planes get smaller.

Conversation at the Security Check Point
===============================
Security Guy: "Hey Bob! We need a bag check!"
Me: "You must be looking at my regulator"
Security Guy: "What does it regulate?"
Me: "Air. For Scuba Diving."
Security Guy: "Ok. No problem then."

No additional bag check was needed.

I always carry-on my regs and computer.

In Jan when I carried my gear to Mex I carried all my bp/w and other gear in a normal luggage but i carried my Regs and Dive computer compass camera in my carry on. I had some trouble getting throw the gate security because when they looked throw the X ray machine they thought my reg hoses were pipes. ( hoses has wire wrapping) and they saw my ATX50 steel cylinder one man guesses it right away but the other time they were going to make me take out my regs for them to look at. but no biggie

Regs, computer dive books, cash, camera go in my carry-on regulator bag; mask, skins, coffee maker, snorkle go in carry-on. The rest into a wheeled duffel.

Dave (aka "Squirt")

I've always just checked all the scuba gear... after reading some of these posts, I think I might change that habit to keeping my reg, and computer close by. As far as bags go, I'd check out either Cressi Sub or XS Scuba. Both companies have huge bags, we sell both of them :) Good luck.

We carry on regulators and computers (and cameras) and have had a wide range of experience from Maui's -- "Oh, how was the diving?" to small airport in Australia "What is that, please take it out and we'll check it piece by piece."

Oh, and my knife's scabbard is on the BC low pressure hose so I need to remember to take the knife out and put it in the luggage! My Cobra has the quick release and I do unhook it so packing is easier.

Also, as with most other important things (like underwear!), we spread our gear out among several bags on the theory that at least some of it will get to the same place we do.

I recently took a sport kiss rebreather as carry on to Mexico. I checked the 2 al 13 cylinders and carried the rest. I also had a couple of bags of sofnolime (looks like kitty litter) for my scrubber. The TSA guy had never seen a rebreather before so we had a nice discussion about benefits of bubble free diving etc.
Allow extra time and pack a good amount of patience before heading to the airport
Definately agree with this

Nomad:
Conversation at the Security Check Point
===============================
Security Guy: "Hey Bob! We need a bag check!"
Me: "You must be looking at my regulator"
Security Guy: "What does it regulate?"
Me: "Air. For Scuba Diving."
Security Guy: "Ok. No problem then."

Very cool. The security guy at my airport said, "Great! That means I can go deep!" Oh, well.

Only check stuff that they won't let you carry on. As a frequent traveler only check stuff that you are willing to Lose!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom