Airlines charging new $ booking fees AND Non-refund on FF-tickets

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DandyDon

Umbraphile
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
One kilometer high on the Texas Central Plains
# of dives
500 - 999
American and Northwest took the lead on the new fees this week, but I expect the other majors to follow, and regionals may. No fee on tickets booked thru their web sites, but $5 fee for tickets booked over the phone, $10 fee at the airport. This makes sense - passing real costs along.

But the new No-Refunds on Frequnet Flyer award tickets bothers me. I am accustomed to using FF-awards more generously, and I'll have to watch for this!

From an American Airlines mass email:
Thank you for your business. To help us continue to offer high value and effectively compete in a fiercely competitive marketplace, American Airlines and American Eagle® will implement a $5 service fee for those tickets purchased via our U.S. reservations centers and a $10 fee for tickets purchased at U.S. airport locations. There is no booking fee for self-booking and ticketing on AA.com®.

Effective Monday, September 6, 2004, the non-refundable fee will apply per ticket, whether it is one-way or roundtrip, and also will apply to tickets redeemed as AAdvantage® program awards.

It's be a bummer to accumulate enough miles to buy a ticket, jump thru all the hoops to actually use them, then lose them over a technicality. I've been traveling extensively with one airline for 24 years, so I get free trips twice as fast, and more liberal treatment than most, but I still have to be careful. :xeye:

blawler1:
The language regarding non-refundable appears to only refer to the new fees on phone tickets ($5) and walk ups ($10), not the FF tickets themselves.
Ah ha! The $5 or $10 fee is one to be applied to FF-tickets booked other than online, and that fee is non-refundable. It's not the FF-ticket that non-ref. That the way you read this? Me thinks you read better tahn me.

I could be a jerk, edit my original post to make me look like the smart one, but I'm supposed to be nice here.
:lol:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom