Airplane tickets - When to Buy

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kharon, that has never been my experience boat diving on Bon. You picked the wrong op and/or the wrong time. We have done most of our boat diving with Capt Dons. Three one tanks a day. The first two boats out are almost entirely filled with guests only, no cruisers and with a high level of experience, certainly higher than what you experienced. The third boat of the day is usually the one we pick, usually empty except for us and maybe one or two other divers staying at the resort and usually to a Klein site. All our boat diving has been wonderful and nothing like what you experienced. The only time we have even seen cruisers on Bon is either driving through town or at Lac Bay and at Lac Bay we make note to go when they are heading back to town.

Last edited:
At this point, we're not planning to do any boat dives. Of course, by the end of the week we might change our minds :)
Just realize that no boats means no Klein Bonaire. Some of better dives (IMHO) are over at Klein. Plus, as someone else pointed out, on a boat you'll have a guide whereas from the shore you'll have to rely on your own eyes and experience.

There really are some awesome dives on Klein. Certainly worth a dive or two. I don't have access to my buddy/wifes logbook right now, but I think it was Karl's Wall I really enjoyed. Unfortunately Toucan is no longer allowed to do a drift dive or that would have been even better!

Unfortunately Toucan is no longer allowed to do a drift dive

Hmmm, interesting. Who or what is not "allowing" them to do a drift dive? The company policy? STINAPA?

Andy

I would rephrase my Caveat re boat dives on Bonaire. I will attribute my experience to bad luck or timing or dive op. However, I'm just not going to risk it again.

Honestly, I prefer solo shore diving anyway and from my limited boat experience on Bonaire I didn't see much, if any difference, in what I see diving from shore.

@Kharon , I tend to agree with you. I find the boat dive locations much the same as the rest of Bonaire diving. I guess some folks just like the ease and camaraderie of boat dives. DALD :cheers: Trapesing across iron shore all the time is a pain and not for everybody (that's why we carry canes :eyebrow:). I do think the diving in Bonaire is certainly worth traveling to and doing whether boat diving or shore diving. The real draw for me is diving on your own schedule, and that to me is a truck full of tanks heading off for an "individual" adventure or hopping in for a "quickie" :) before breakfast or after dinner. Without that draw, Bonaire becomes just another nice, Caribbean dive spot. Certainly worth doing, but probably not worth returning to year after year (like I do). If it were just the diving, there are other Caribbean spots that IMHO are better, but Bonaire "dive freedom" is special. I do wish the airfare would become more reasonable. I can't stay there all the time and I can't swim there...:cry: All IMHO YMMV.

Last edited:
Hmmm, interesting. Who or what is not "allowing" them to do a drift dive? The company policy? STINAPA?

Andy

Not likely STINPA, it's most likely a shop policy. We did one a few weeks ago, the current was worse than we wanted to swim against, DM took a look, told the boat capt we were drifting and off we went. That said, we had an experienced group, we all knew each other and the DM's had gotten comfortable with us which I am sure played a part in the decision.

"The real draw for me is diving on your own schedule, and that to me is a truck full of tanks heading off for an "individual" adventure or hopping in for a "quickie" :) before breakfast or after dinner. Without that draw, Bonaire becomes just another nice, Caribbean dive spot. Certainly worth doing, but probably not worth returning to year after year (like I do). I"

Couldn't of said it better myself. This for me, is the #1 reason I enjoy Bonaire. The last thing I want to do there is jump on a boat with a bunch of other people. :)

Andy
Toucan management... I got the impression there was an incident.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom