Airport for GBR?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

afdgf

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
We may be diving the GBR in November/December and we will be flying out of LAX. My question is which airport should we fly into? Any recommendations either for or against? Which airline should we book with? Thanks.

When I dived the GBR, even though our original flight was into Sydney from LAX, we flew domestic to Cairns. It appears that it handles International flights, too.

Have fun!

For the northern GBR you're flying in to Cairns. If you're only interested in diving fly LAX to Brisbane for a shorter domestic leg. Otherwise work out what else you want to see and fly LAX to Sydney, Melbourne, or Brisbane (there is also good diving near each depending on your interest and ability).

The GBR is very long, many airports. However, you probably want Cairns for the northern end of the reef.

I'm Cairns local and its all been stated above. Cairns has the majority of GBR trips and us the gateway to the Reef.

Fly to Brisbane or Sydney and get domestic flight to Cairns. Plenty of options and multiple daily flights.

Back
Top Bottom