Airport lounges

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dogbowl

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
None - Not Certified
Just signed up for the American Express Platinum card (Canadian), which will give me access to lots of airport lounges around the world but I’m a newbie at airport lounges as I’ve never had enough status to get in for free...so, how can I best take advantage of this? I know big city destinations (Jakarta, Hong Kong, Singapore) have nice lounges but what about small Caribbean airports like Cancun, Cozumel, Bonaire, Roatan, etc? Or other small international airports?

Make sure you sign up for a priority pass card (free with your amex). The amex itself won't get you into other lounged aside from Centurion, but the priority pass card will. There's a priority pass lounge almost everywhere --you can search the lounges on their site or through the app.

Make sure you sign up for a priority pass card (free with your amex). The amex itself won't get you into other lounged aside from Centurion, but the priority pass card will. There's a priority pass lounge almost everywhere --you can search the lounges on their site or through the app.

I see. Ok thank you!

I have the same card (US) and the Priority Pass lounge benefit that comes with it ... and I almost never have an opportunity to use it. The only times I have used it were for connecting through "big city destinations" (hubs), and even then, if I have a really long layover, I'd rather leave the airport and go into, say, Singapore and eat some chili crabs than hang around an airport lounge. As for airports at dive destinations, I rarely arrive at the airport so far before my flight home that the lounge is worth going to. If the flight home is in the morning, I'm sure not going to get up early enough to arrive at the airport an extra hour early to allow me to have breakfast in the lounge instead of my hotel. I ALMOST used the lounge in Fiji recently, because the flight home was in the afternoon, but once again, by the time I was through Security, Immigration, etc., I had little time left to enjoy the lounge. It will come in handy someday, I know it. :)

I have the same card (US) and the Priority Pass lounge benefit that comes with it ... and I almost never have an opportunity to use it. The only times I have used it were for connecting through "big city destinations" (hubs), and even then, if I have a really long layover, I'd rather leave the airport and go into, say, Singapore and eat some chili crabs than hang around an airport lounge. As for airports at dive destinations, I rarely arrive at the airport so far before my flight home that the lounge is worth going to. If the flight home is in the morning, I'm sure not going to get up early enough to arrive at the airport an extra hour early to allow me to have breakfast in the lounge instead of my hotel. I ALMOST used the lounge in Fiji recently, because the flight home was in the afternoon, but once again, by the time I was through Security, Immigration, etc., I had little time left to enjoy the lounge. It will come in handy someday, I know it. :)

I was concerned this might be the case. I signed up for the lounges, but also for the sign-up bonus points and priority security line at Toronto Pearson Airport. It might turn out not to be worth the price of the card (to me).

Bonaire and Roatan barely have gates so no airport lounges. Same with St, Thomas, Cayman, Provo.I don't believe Curacao did either.

There's a very nice AA lounge in Philly if you find yourself routed thru there. And I believe also in Charlotte since that's a former USair/America West hub. Quite a few Carib destinations still route thru there,

Not a lounge but the Houston airport has a Papadeux (Cajun) upstairs.

I was concerned this might be the case. I signed up for the lounges, but also for the sign-up bonus points and priority security line at Toronto Pearson Airport. It might turn out not to be worth the price of the card (to me).

In hindsight, the hefty card fee is not really worth it to me, but I got the card years ago when I had a "real" job, and I'm not sure I could even qualify for a platinum card today, so I'm hanging onto it. The benefit I currently make the most use of is a monthly Uber reimbursement.

My wife and I have access to around 650 oneworld lounges worldwide. There are lounges in nearly all large international airports. There are none in the Caribbean, with the exception of Cancun, an airport we don't use. I would imagine you have a listing of all the lounges you have access to online, like we do.

In hindsight, the hefty card fee is not really worth it to me, but I got the card years ago when I had a "real" job, and I'm not sure I could even qualify for a platinum card today, so I'm hanging onto it. The benefit I currently make the most use of is a monthly Uber reimbursement.

Uber reimbursement?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom