Airway Control...I did it!!! + More

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JodiBB

Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hi everyone...

First, I experienced my first OW dive (under instruction of course) out at Catalina. I completed 3 of my 4 dives on this one day. It was a boat dive and it was great! As there was only me and my instructor (private lessons), we had the opportunity to knock out the skills in 5 minutes or less and we had 30 minutes or so to just dive and enjoy the kelp forests...it was a great experience!!

Second, for those of you who remember my dilemma, I was having problems with the mask removal. I was getting water up my nose and then I'd choke. The only way I could complete the task was by holding my nose. My instructor wouldn't certify me, however, if I couldn't do it without holding my nose. She called PADI and advised her not to pass me if I had to hold my nose, but another instructor called on my behalf and PADI told him I could pass...but ultimately it's my instructor who's signing off on the skills.....

So last night, she had another pool dive class and invited me to practice in the shallow end. I could easily sit in the shallow end with my respirator and w/o a mask under water. So then I tried it with a partially flooded mask and my respirator. I realized my nose didn't like being confined and would pull the mask off underwater and suddenly, I was breathing just with my respirator underwater without the mask!! Putting it back on was a little more difficult and sometimes I had to clear it twice. This was the only time my instructor allowed me to hold my nose so I could take a second breath to finally clear my mask...I did it!!!!

When the rest of her class did the exercise at 13', she asked me to join them, I swam across the pool without my mask with ease and put my mask back on...I passed this skill!!! It was the only skill that was holding me back as at our beach dive we have to do this and I wasn't prepared to do it without trying it in the pool first. Now I know I can and I'll be able to do it in the ocean with ease!!!

Certification, here I come!! :dazzler1:

Ain't no stoppin' you now!!! :D

You GO!

Yup, congrats. Hope you will have lots of fun diving in the ocean. Safe dives.

Avic7:
Yup, congrats. Hope you will have lots of fun diving in the ocean. Safe dives.

the nicest thing to know about the mask skill is quite simply the fact that theres a 99999 out of 100000 chance that you'll never have it happen anyways :/

verybaddiver:
the nicest thing to know about the mask skill is quite simply the fact that theres a 99999 out of 100000 chance that you'll never have it happen anyways :/

I'm not sure of where you came up with this, but it's pretty much bunk. If you dive very much at all, it's not a matter of if, it's a matter of when. Masks get kicked off, ripped off, and sometimes the straps just plain break. While it doesn't happen often, it will happen if you dive a lot. It's very important to practice this skill from time to time, as well as your other basic skills, just so that you stay comfortable with it.

I agree, even if your mask doesnt come all the way off sometimes it will leak if bumped. Also I have a beard so if I'm not religous about shaving my mustache away from my nose I will end up having to clear masks a half dozen times during the dive. Being comfortable with this basic skill is very important and should be practiced regularly.

E.B.

oi i was trying to offer the poor guy some support!!! , i always end up having to constantly flood and clear my mask after forgetting to rub it before i dive

Back
Top Bottom