Akumal for 2 Weeks in November

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Grover48

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
We have confirmed and paid for the reservations for Akumal from Oct 31 through Nov 15 this year. We have rented a villa on Yal Ku lagoon.

We were there for a week last year and enjoyed ourselves. My wife is now certified and we would like to do more diving together. I did some diving with Akumal Dive Center and did two dives in Chac Mool cenote and several dives on the reef.

I am looking for more suggestions of dives to make and things to see while we are there. We have a car reserved for the time we are there so we will be mobile. I welcome suggestions for dive sites, land trips and restaurants to visit.

Thanks for your help and suggestions.

One thing that I would look into is a tour of Chichen Itza. The best way is to fly from Playa del Carmen with a company name Aerosaab. You get to see the ruins from the air, have a nice ground tour and be back in PDC by 2pm. Also Yucatreks and Altournatives have very good day trips.

I am not that impressed with the reef diving off Akumal. You might want to use Aquanauts in Puerto Adventuras for your reef diving.

We have confirmed and paid for the reservations for Akumal from Oct 31 through Nov 15 this year.

I am looking for more suggestions of dives to make and things to see while we are there.

I'd suggest more Cenote Dives. Grand Cenote, Dos Ojos and Taj Mahal are all much more impressive than Chac Mol. :D

You might also consider a Cavern Class, which is two days of the best dive training you'll ever get.

We'll also be in Akumal for the last week of your trip. Have a great time!

Make sure to walk over to Que Onda to eat. It's just down the street from the entrance to Yal Ku. We dove Dos Ojos with Victor from Hidden Worlds and loved every second of it. Make sure to check out locogringo.com for area info. Two weeks in Akumal would be great!!

I don't disagree. Akumal reefs are not what they used to be. Seems things are still a bit better off Aventuras and further south by Tulum. Or, go up to Puerto Morelos and dive in the marine park. There's also some interesting dives off Playa.

All that said, for a new diver with little of nothing to compare to, Akumal is a good choice. Easy diving, minimal and often not even noticeable current, short boat rides, three single tank trips each day, and the price is right. I think it's a good place to hone your skills and not have to worry too much.

Each shop in Akumal has it's fans and repeat customers. Either of them will do fine. If you're staying in North Akumal then Dive Adventures on Half Moon Bay will be the most convenient. Do a couple days with them and book a couple days with Aquanauts out of Puerto Aventuras for comparison.

I've also heard lots of great reports in recent months about Natalie and Ivan. Dive With Natalie & Ivan Akumal, Riviera Maya, Mexico PADI OWSI Open Water Scuba Instructors A little more personalized service/dive experience then the shops provide.

Go and see the Coba and Tulum ruins. Very different from each other and a great way to spend a day. Get to Tulum when they first open to avoid the MANY large tour buses. Rent a bike at Coba, the walks are long. I also suggenst either bringing a book of the ruins or hiring a guide. The amount of information through out the sites is minimal.

If you have not already discovered them on your last trip, la Economica, La Buena Vida and Lo Ha are three great restaurants that go from cheap to expensive (in order listed).

I second all comments on diving that's been given so far.

Have fun!

PH

One other thing that I would add. On your way from the airport, stop in Playa Del Carmen and do your grocery shopping. You have the Super Chomak just before the arch in Akumal and it is well stocked but pretty expensive. Besides being less expensive, it is a good cultural experience. The Mega or Walmart are the easiest to get to from Highway 307 and I like them better than Chedraui, Super San Fransisco and Aurerra (sp?).

If you have not already discovered them on your last trip, la Economica, La Buena Vida and Lo Ha are three great restaurants that go from cheap to expensive (in order listed).
Que Onda is excellent and often overlooked (because it's near Yal Ku and not Half Moon or Akumal Bay). Great food, great service and reasonably priced for what you get. Cueva del Pescador is also good, and by Akumal standards not that pricey... just watch out for the margaritas as they pack a mean punch.

Is la Economica the Loncheria by the Chomak? Emelda's is also good food and affordable prices.

Across the highway in the Pueblo try El Ultimo Maya.

Isn't Akumal pretty close to Xel Ha? If so, we really enjoyed the day we spent there. We did not dive there, but the snorkeling was great.

Back
Top Bottom