Akumal - good times of year?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

FT

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
A friend has her heart set on Akumal diving, preferably during Canadian winter.

My only related experience is Puerto Morelos one March, when the waves were a bit choppy. Queasy tummies made us abort the second dive each day we tried. Vis wasn't anything to write home about, either. Cozumel in March, another year, was tons better.

Any advice on good times of year to dive Akumal?

Thanks!

We dove it in March. The wind was steady so it was a bit rough, but it was good. We have been there in June and snorkeled. It rained more, but less wind. I think it would be good with a 3mmm - 5mm suit all winter long. The cenotes are the best diving in the area and they would be good anytime.

We weren't impressed with the ocean diving in Akumal. Drop dead perfect carib beaches and reasonable ocean front condos. Great snorkeling, but I have heard that the locals are getting pissy about Akumal Bay by pushing "required" guides.

For diving, go back to Coz.

@driftwood... been trying to tell the friend that. Bit stubborn. Also, since she's been out of the water for 5 years, she wonders about the Cozumel currents. If it must be Akumal, December? Jan? Feb? March?

Akumal ocean diving is not great, but it isn't lousy, either. The bay is very serene. Not only are they pushing required dives for snorkeling, they are requiring vests, too. If you show up with you own gear and don't rent equipment, though, you can usually do whatever you want.

I like the environment. It is not a big resort area. It has a small town, very quiet vibe to it. I enjoy going there for that reason alone.

We dive that part of the Yucatan (Puerto Aventuras) just about every December, and can't remember ever being shut out from dives for the whole week we stay. Being on that side of the channel, you are less likely to be effected by Nortes. We love the diving out of PA, the reefs are very alive and healthy, although we have not dived in Akumal proper, so can't help you there.

FT:
@driftwood... been trying to tell the friend that. Bit stubborn. Also, since she's been out of the water for 5 years, she wonders about the Cozumel currents. If it must be Akumal, December? Jan? Feb? March?

We did 10 dives at Akumal on one trip and decided it wasn't worth the vacation time or money to ocean dive there again. Been back to Half Moon Bay many times since, just skipped the diving.

It has already been mentioned that from December to March the conditions are pretty much the same. Pick a week and you will have a great time in Akumal.

Couple tips, the transfers from CUN are expensive to the point that it is almost cheaper to rent a car (dead heat on a four night stay). Also, eating in Akumal is super expensive for what you get. You can either take out a second mortgage and shop at the Super Chomax or stop in PDC at Mega, Walmart, Chedr.....

Our LDS had a spring break trip to Coz this March. That means a lot of new/inexperienced divers, none of whom had a problem with the current or dive profiles. Get your friend a refresher and she will do just fine in Coz.

We go to Akumal at least every other year and have since the 90'5. Avoid hurricane season, July 1 through October 31. We have been there in June, early July, April and November, and all were great without ocean conditions being a factor.

Reactions: FT
We actually did some VERY nice reef diving off Puerto Aventuras last October. (I finally did some open water diving down there!). The one dive I've done from Akumal didn't blow me away at all. I don't know if it's because of the runoff there or what, but the reef was heavily coated with algae.

The one dive I've done from Akumal didn't blow me away at all. I don't know if it's because of the runoff there or what, but the reef was heavily coated with algae.

I had a student a number of years ago who was getting certified to help himself with the work he was doing in that part of the Yucatan on the algae problem. He said the problem starts with the large number of all-inclusive resorts in the area. They create tons of organic waste that need to be removed. They created landfills not too far inland as dump sites. Anyone who knows what the underground in that area looks like, as you do, will understand instantly that all of that gets into the ground water and flows quickly through the caves and into the sea. He was trying to work with them to find a better way to dispose of that waste. I have no idea what became of that project.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom