Akumal??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks to everyone for the input. What is the shuttle/bus ride from Cancun like? Two adults and four kids probably puts renting a car out of the question.

Essentially nonexistent, there are "collectivos" that run from Cancun to Akumal. They are cheap, but not a good way to get from the airport to anywhere for numerous reasons. Locogringo is a good site that we have used to book condos in the area. You also might check with Playa del Carmen info for another quote. With six people and luggage, a private transfer is the way to go.

We love the beaches and snorkeling in Akumal (especially the north end of Akumal Bay). We found the ocean diving to be a waste of time and money.

I spent a week in Akumal last August...also at Villas De Rosa. I don't know if the time of year makes that much of a differnce but the vis was fantastic! I saw PLENTY of wildlife...turtles, rays, baracuda, lionfish, eel... too many fish to name....not to mention the legostino's (clawless spiny lobster).

The cenotes are another thing all together....simply beautiful! I love Akumal so much that I've booked my trip again for this coming August and plan on going back every year. I love Villa De Rosa as well....no, it's not a huge mega resort, but to wake up, walk out your patio to the beach where the dive boat is waiting for you...make 2 ocean dives and be back by 11am was awesome! The nightlife isn't like Cancun for sure, but there are a few nice local dives in Tulum and on Friday's, there is always a huge beach party.

Skarn

Skarn, thanks for the input. We are going June 2-9th staying at Akumal Beach Resort. I am not to hard to please underwater, so I am looking foward to it.

I've dove Akumal a few times. It can't compare to Cozumel but I wasn't disappointed. I'm not hard to please either. The morning is your best bet as most go out in the AM.

Good advise given about locogringo. Everything you want to know is there and a few avid akumal divers on the forum.

The Akumal area is awesome PDC <-->Tulum.

I've been to Akumal several times over the years, and have to agree that it's no Cozumel or St. Croix or Grand Cayman, but it is still fun to dive. When I've actually done boat dives there, I've often been the only diver, apart from the DM. Lots of turtles, rays, and eels (garden, spotted, etc), but not the volume of other areas, especially since it doesn't get the nutrient flow most islands tend to get. The cenotes are amazing...a must dive. Surreal and unworldly...you understand why the Maya thought they were the door to the underworld. Good snorkeling for the kids along the coast, but definitely take them to the Yal-Ku lagoon north of the main part of town, very kid friendly and lots of stuff to see. I'd also second/third/fourth the locogringo.com recommendation. A great source for all things on the Riviera Maya. For food, the little open air lunch counter on the right at the entrance to town (by the arched gateway) is amazing. I've had the best mole I've ever had there, and the tortilla are handmade at the counter, and lunch is like $2-3 american. Imelda's Ecochina is also a great breakfast/lunch place, as is the Turtle Bay Cafe, though Imelda's is a little more down-home. She makes all the salsa's herself, and you can tell. Don't miss "La Vida Loca" on Half Moon Bay...great for a cerviche and cervesa at the end of a good day of diving.
Have Fun! Try to get the kids to Tulum as well!

Scubainstructormatt, thanks for the info. I have been doing lots of research and as far as I can tell should be a fun vacation for all of us:)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom