Akumel Restaurants.....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SterlingDiver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
..........we are off to Akumal for four days next week. We are staying at the Akumal Club Caribe Hotel.

Any ideas on the best places to eat??

a) best nice restaurant

b) best light breakfast

c) fun, good traditional cafes

d) best seafood

e) Are there any must do eaterys??

Your thoughts will be most appreciated.

Thank You,

Dave

I'm so jealous! Akumal is one of my favorite places and we go at least once a year. We usually stay in a condo on Half Moon Bay. Ahhhh.

There aren't that many restaurants in Akumal, so here's the list. Unfortunately, in Akumal itself there is no actual Mexican restaurant. Always seemed odd to me, and I really wish there was one. But, most restaurants do have some Mexican or Mayan or Yucatan items on their menu.

La Lunita (Half Moon Bay at Hacienda de la Tortuga) - tables right on the beach, good service and food, candlelight, moonlight, starlight.

If you like Italian Que Onda, on the way to Yal Ku Lagoon does great homemade pasta and it's in a nice garden setting.(not beachfront)

La Cueva del Pescador - Akumal Bay, best seafood and super strong margaritas. They can also take you out fishing then cook your catch.

Turtle Bay Bakery & Cafe - Akumal Bay, hands down the best place for breakfast. Good bakery (get there early), and they now serve dinner 6 nts/wk during high season. Dinner was very good, but on the expensive side especially when drinks were added. Also serve lunch.

Lol Ha - Akumal Bay. Used to have a great selection of Mayan and Yucatan specialties, but has gone more continental (American and European standards). Has outside and inside dining. Good for lunch and ok for dinner.

La Buena Vida - Half Moon Bay, great happy hour, good guacamole, salsa and quesadilla and nice view for sunsets. Dining room upstairs from the bar has a good menu, but quality and service are hit or miss. Lunch, everything from the burgers to grilled sandwiches will most likely have mustard and/or mayo, and may or may not be hot. Again, hit or miss.

For something quick there's also the Loncheria beside the Super Chomak and Emelda's by the CEA. Lucy's has homemade ice-cream and I think she's also offering a small menu now too.

If you are renting a car you could head to Tulum, Aventuras, PDC or other areas where you'll find more restaurants.

I'm sure this one was mentioned above.. but I don't know the name... (Lunita)?? It is right next door to Akumal Dive adventures. Ate there about three times last week! Loved the Cheyanne Tacos (just your normal mexican beef taco, but inexpensive and lots of cilantro!) Yummy!! :)

AmyJ:
I'm sure this one was mentioned above.. but I don't know the name... (Lunita)?? It is right next door to Akumal Dive adventures. Ate there about three times last week! Loved the Cheyanne Tacos (just your normal mexican beef taco, but inexpensive and lots of cilantro!) Yummy!! :)

Akumal is so wonderfully laid back. I don't think we ever had a really bad meal there. If time allows, to go to Tulum.

Enjoy!

Amy -
La Buena Vida ("The Good Life") is next door to ADA. We enjoy happy hour for a couple drinks and an order of guac & salsa, but meals there for us have really been hit or miss. It could be because we're usually there in low season between two major holiday travel times. Maybe the staff is just taking a break between their busy times.

Lunita is La Lunita, a bit further North on HMB in Hacienda de la Tortuga.

scubawife:
I'm so jealous! Akumal is one of my favorite places and we go at least once a year. We usually stay in a condo on Half Moon Bay. Ahhhh.

There aren't that many restaurants in Akumal, so here's the list. Unfortunately, in Akumal itself there is no actual Mexican restaurant. Always seemed odd to me, and I really wish there was one. But, most restaurants do have some Mexican or Mayan or Yucatan items on their menu.

La Lunita (Half Moon Bay at Hacienda de la Tortuga) - tables right on the beach, good service and food, candlelight, moonlight, starlight.

If you like Italian Que Onda, on the way to Yal Ku Lagoon does great homemade pasta and it's in a nice garden setting.(not beachfront)

La Cueva del Pescador - Akumal Bay, best seafood and super strong margaritas. They can also take you out fishing then cook your catch.

Turtle Bay Bakery & Cafe - Akumal Bay, hands down the best place for breakfast. Good bakery (get there early), and they now serve dinner 6 nts/wk during high season. Dinner was very good, but on the expensive side especially when drinks were added. Also serve lunch.

Lol Ha - Akumal Bay. Used to have a great selection of Mayan and Yucatan specialties, but has gone more continental (American and European standards). Has outside and inside dining. Good for lunch and ok for dinner.

La Buena Vida - Half Moon Bay, great happy hour, good guacamole, salsa and quesadilla and nice view for sunsets. Dining room upstairs from the bar has a good menu, but quality and service are hit or miss. Lunch, everything from the burgers to grilled sandwiches will most likely have mustard and/or mayo, and may or may not be hot. Again, hit or miss.

For something quick there's also the Loncheria beside the Super Chomak and Emelda's by the CEA. Lucy's has homemade ice-cream and I think she's also offering a small menu now too.

If you are renting a car you could head to Tulum, Aventuras, PDC or other areas where you'll find more restaurants.

....thank you for taking the time to share your experiance with me. I am printing this off and taking this with us next week.

Thank you again.

Dave

Ondine:
Akumal is so wonderfully laid back. I don't think we ever had a really bad meal there. If time allows, to go to Tulum.

Enjoy!

We hope to spend our last day in Tulum to get ready to fly home. we are looking forward for a liesurely day there.

Dave

AmyJ:

.......we'll give it a try for lunch one day! Thank you for the referral.

Dave

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom