Al for Steel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

msedivingdoc

Reaction score
Was wndering if anyone knows a deal or a place that will swap an Al tank for a steel? I'm looking to get rid of the Al and switch to 1 steel for now then buy a second to make doubles. What size should i do the steel in and shuld i get a din or yoke?

If you are wanting to trade even AL for steel a 72 is likely all you will be able to get . A lot of dive shops have steel 72 they might trade an AL 80 for . If you dont mind paying more money to make up the difference a lot of dive shops that sell tanks might give you something for your old tank. Why not keep the AL and just buy another steel or 2 ?You can never have too many tanks. As far as the ? about tank size you are the only one that can answer that definately. I see PST 80s new for right at 200 and Faber 85 not much more . a lot of people double steel 72s .any of those are fine if you only need 150 -200 cubic feet [overfilling] If you intend to do cave diving or deep and or long dives you may want larger tanks but by the time you do that you will most likely have lots of tanks . as far as the valve goes I assume your gear now is setup for Yoke or you wouldn't be askingthis question. I would get one of the modular valves that you can use as part of your manifold when you get another tank. If you intend to keep using yoke than get the 200 BAR valve that you can change to din by removing the insert.
Joens

What size AL tank do you have? What size of steel tank are you looking for? A steel tank is generally twice as expensive as an AL tank. It's too bad you are not closer. I have a Steel LP 80 that I would trade for an AL 100.

Scott

too bad you are not closer to me I have 2 Al 100s Just hydroed this month I would trade one for a steel 80.
Joens

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom