Al Handle for Dalton Safety Knife?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yup I've seen that. All I'm missing in my little project is a few steak knives; soon to fix that though. My roomate's willing to lend me his knife making tools, so I think I'm all set now. :D

Knife making tools? I thought you just put Betty Crocker in a vise, lopped her point off, and filed down the rough spots. I guess you'll be buying an industrial sewing machine to make the sheath. :)

I wish I had a sewing machine!
But no, my roommate made a small business for himself, crafting knives from blank templates. Since I don't have a vice I'm going fancy with his dremel and files. :support:

I wish I had a sewing machine!
I will give you a nice Kenmore sewing machine if you ever come back up this way. It is light duty for cloth, but it works well for that.

That's very kind of Peter, but I can't accept that. I wouldn't even have a place to put it right now.

So an update, I couldn't find a riveted steak knife that was both cheap enough and would fit into my sheath.
I opted to buy a bulk pack of resin handled knives from amazon for around $16 total. Unlike my original DIR knife that I bought, these have a better seal between the blade and the handle. So little to no saltwater can enter and get trapped in the handle.

The sheath was sewn together by the local cobbler, although he chose to neglect my directions and do a different stitch job that consisted mainly of glue. I got the spare webbing from my new Halcyon Bp.
The whole knife set up has lasted several dives, so I'm pretty happy with how it turned out in the end.

Borrowed my roomate's dremel and bought a metal cutting head for it. I ended up thining the blade w/ the dremel and snapping it with some pliers.
Took my snowboard file and a gummy stone to the snapped edge to smooth it out.
The whole process took about 30mins to complete 4 knives.

All in all it was:
$24 for 2 sheaths
$16 for 12 blades
$6 for 2 dremel heads (although I only used one and it's still pretty usable)
=> So totaled up: $36 for 2 sheaths w/ Halcyon "H" logo, 4 ready to dive DIR knives, 8 steak knives, plus DIY bragging rights; I'd say I came out ahead. :D
DIR Dalton Safety Knife.jpg

Well done.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom