AL Mikron 1st Stage Question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Regarding the tool you mentioned and linked to, if you want to spend the money on the tool and shipping then go for it, but the manual calls for using the yoke dust cap…all the plastic tool is doing is substituting for the dust cap.

-Z

Regarding the tool you mentioned and linked to, if you want to spend the money on the tool and shipping then go for it, but the manual calls for using the yoke dust cap…all the plastic tool is doing is substituting for the dust cap.

-Z
Cool, I'll pass.

The ACD quietly acquired that ridge as a result of three cases of gas shutoff DURING a dive. Aqualung never admitted a design flaw, but posted an advisory about shutter valve torque.
What apparently happened is that a loose shutter valve smooth face occluded a 6mm DIN insert in a tank valve. The new ridge now prevents total face contact with the insert, allowing continued gas flow even if the shutter valve loosens.

See this thread:
When I first heard about the ACD, a chill went down my spine. I did not trust it and thought it is an unecessary complication and IMHO a poor trade off to save divers from putting on the dust cap. Then Divers Alert Network published an incident and confirmed my worries.

I am surprised no official recall was issued, because if anyone gets into trouble with the old design, there now is proof that the manufacturer knew about the risk by the original design. Perhaps by issuing the torque specs, they put the burden on the tech that touched it last, when in reality it is (IMHO) an unwise design choice in terms of risk vs benefit. I guess careful techs may treat this like recall and upgrade to the new ridged design before releasing such a reg out of their hands...

When I first heard about the ACD, a chill went down my spine. I did not trust it and thought it is an unecessary complication and a poor trade off to save divers from putting on the dust cap. Then Divers Alert Network published an incident and confirmed my worries.

I am surprised no official recall was issued, because if anyone gets into trouble with the old design, there now is proof that the manufacturer knew about the risk by the original design. Perhaps by issuing the torque specs, they put the burden on the tech that touched it last, when in reality it is an unwise design choice in terms of risk vs benefit. I guess careful techs may treat this like recall and upgrade to the new ridged design before releasing such a reg out of their hands...

Your post makes me think I will leave my Franken-Core that I purchased from Simon the way it is. He built a Core from individual parts but opted to make it Non-ACD so that servicing it would be simpler as it just requires an 8mm Allen key to remove the yoke fitting…similar to the current Titan.

I was thinking about converting it to DIN to make it a proper Core with ACD, but now I am having 2nd thoughts…I need to research if the non-ACD Titan DIN conversion kit will work with it.

-Z

Back
Top Bottom