Aladin Prime - Problems + Problems

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Lucca

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
My Uwatec's Aladin Prime has been a problem since the begining. It lost IR communication only 2-3 months after purchase. The first battery worked quite well but, after replacing it (200+ dives), it worked for 8-10 dives only... I sent it for service and it returned suppousedly repaired but just as it had left my house...:confused:

Some weeks ago I read somewhere that both problems where common and that the battery issue had something to do with the see-through cap. Hopless as I thought it was, I painted the cap in black and... miraculously, it worked and the battery has now 50+ dives with no problem.

So, when I thought things were a bit in order (resigned to IR download), last night the right button jumped our of the case (thankfully in my house, while rinsing the computer)...

I am suprised Uwatec can build something so poorly...:shakehead:

Any advice? (besides dumping the computer in the trash can).

Have you contacted their customer support?

Uwatec/ScubaPro has had a number of problems with their dive computers the last few years. Much as I liked my Aladin Pro (until the battery failed at 39% and it started resetting my gas mix on its own), I doubt I'll buy another Uwatec dive computer.

I just read the above posting today. So it is a little late for a reply, but for the record, my Aladin prime has a failure in the IR circuit also. It will not talk to my PC/XP computer. Sent it to two dive shops so far. The first shop absolutely botched the repair. All they did was deform the coin slot on the battery cover and hold the computer un repaired for six months. My current dive shop is on its second go round. I bought a new SCUBAPRO/UWATEC IR dongle in case there was a incompatibility.($80 NO joy). The computer is on its way to UWATEC land to get a new heart. (I hope).
If there is one more download problem, I am using it for a paperweight and buying another brand. If,on the other hand, UWATEC fixes this three year old computer I will post it here, and relate the cure.

We have seen all threee of these issues with Aladin Primes / TEC.

The IR issue was mostly common on the TEC's but some Primes were affected, theres no way to repair it, Scubapro just replaces the unit.

The battery issue has nothing to do withthe cap being clear or painted, its in the electronics circuit, again nothing that can be repaired. Scubapro just replaces the unit.

The button popping off is a rare problem, I've only seen it once and needless to say Scubapro replaced it as well.

As you can see there really isn't much repair available to these puck style computers, they get replaced. Originally when the ir's started failing and the policy was just replace them we were replacing them with our stock and waiting the 2-3 weeks for Scubapro to replace to us. Your dealer can replace/get replaced the unit if it was bought from an authorized dealer, your having way more issues than you should for the unit.

Schott

Sea Level Scuba, Off topic but, my Brother and family live in Melbourne Fla. When I visited them, (and my Mother in Cocoa beach), I was about to drop in on you guys for a visit and to find out about a local dive. Ended up in Crystal river instead.
Next time, this summer, I will for sure.

Oh dear, another Aladin Prime bites the dust. Mine quietly died underwater one day (which is why I always dive with two), but it was replaced quickly and without any problems by Uwatec. So far Prime #2 is doing ok. If it fails again, I will chose another manufacturer. Contact Customer Service and get the satisfaction you deserve as their valued customer.

Sea Level Scuba, Off topic but, my Brother and family live in Melbourne Fla. When I visited them, (and my Mother in Cocoa beach), I was about to drop in on you guys for a visit and to find out about a local dive. Ended up in Crystal river instead.
Next time, this summer, I will for sure.

Please do, give a heads up and we can possibly get out for a dive together depending on the timing. Thanks for the thanks :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom