alcohol after Nitrox & deep dive???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

glennome

Registered
Reaction score
My husband recently went on a deep(30mtr) dive using Nitrox 32% ean. 4 others used regular air. The dive went fine, the others were pretty beat afterwards, but my husband said "I feel buzzy". He felt really great. That evening we all had a few drinks, my husband has a fairly good tolerance to alcohol and all the guys drank pretty much the same amount. (Not heaps but enough to relax). While the others all felt fine, my husband ended up really really drunk. It seems unusual that he would be so drunk when the others having had roughly the same amount were fine. One other guy who is smaller than my dh was pretty much on par with my husband in drinking, was absoutly fine.
Could the effects of the Deep and Nitrox have caused him to become exceedingly drunk whilst only having much less to drink than it would usually take to get him in this state?
Could this be a form of decompression sickness, that is aggraviated by the drinking of alcohol?
I look forward to hearing your opinions. If there is anywhere that you know of (books, web sites) that I could go to find this out, I would be gratful if you could leave me the information.:confused:

You don't give many facts to go on. How many dives for the day? How long? Was he on computer or tables? Dehydrated? What had he eaten that day? When you say drunk, what were his symptoms? His PPO2 was only 1.28 for that depth. If the others who were on air dived (dove?) the same profile, he shouldn't have been bent (although that is possible, everyone is different). I don't think the fact that he was on nitrox was the cause or even a major factor, but without more facts, it is difficult to tell. Feeling buzzed right after the dive makes me want to know if his tank were contaminated, or if it did have the proper mix. Did he check it properly at the fill station when he picked it up? Did he inspect the air test results that should be posted at the fill station? I had a similar problem once when I got a fill contaminated with oil. Can you give more information?

2 dives - 1st dive 30mins at 30 mtrs 2nd dive 36mins at 27.8mtrs surface interval 1hr 3mins - brekky 3 coffee's 2 pieces of toast. Dive on computer - sunto viper. hot day everyone was sweltering. 32 c, 600mls of water till 2nd dive. lunch 1 salad roll. No gauge to check air, dive shop did nitrox blend so didn't check.
symptoms - buzzy feeling, on a real high. Had a few beers at 5pm, drove home 1hr. 2 beers at dinner, played pictionary all seemed fine, 2 hrs later outside drunk as a skunk, cannot remember much after dinner. The evening did not end till 4am. Lots of swearing, violent behaviour and abuse. He has not been this way ever before. Past 3 yrs very careful with drink due to becoming rather drunk 3yrs ago and nearly breaking up marriage. Never got to this extent and is quite out of character. Other times when having had a bit much, always remembered what had happened. this time has not memory, only 3-4 small snippets of what occured later.
I am not trying to excuse his behaviour, but would like to know if using the Nitrox could of enhanced the drink possibly several amounts more. One other guy drank just as much and was no where near drunk. He used regular air.

There are a few issues here:
1. According to the tables, and the information you have given, he was over the NDL for the second dive. Now, because he was on computer, he may have been within the NDL and fine. Depends.

2. 32c temps, as you say "sweltering" a half liter of water or so is not enough. Couple this with alcohol and caffeine(which contributes to dehydration) and you are flirting with dehydration. Dehydration is a major contributor to DCI. Especially a "few beers" plus two more.

3. The tables show he was at 18% of his oxygen limit and the PPO2 was 1.28. This would indicate nitrox in itself wasn't the cause. Unless the fill was not actually 32%. All of the certification agencies I know of strongly recommend that you check the mix yourself.

DCI frequently presents as a neurological deficit. This can appear like intoxication. That, along with the fact that alcohol can mask DCI symptoms AND contribute to DCI, is why you should not drink significant (and I mean more than 1 or 2) amounts of alcohol. Preferably NO alcohol.
It is quite possible that your husband was either bent, simply intoxicated or a combination of both. Tell him to avoid pre and post dive alcohol and if you are not a diver, I would recommend you at least become familiar with DCI symptoms and monitor him after dives. If alcohol and not diving turns out to be the cause, I would say that you should convince him to stop drinking. (You mention another alcohol incident) Failing in that, I am sure there are agencies you can contact for help. Please don't take this as a personal affront, I am trying to be objective. I hope that helps.

This is only for informational purposes and does not constitute either formal training or medical diagnosis. See your doctor or local training agency for more information. Stay safe.

I appreciate you taking the time to reply to me. Yes my dh has in the very distant past had a bit of a problem, but for years now all is very much under control. Wouldn't be here if not. I have not taken this as a personal affront and really want to thank you for your help. We will definately not be drinking (I am also a diver) before/during or after diving, I guess for at least a good 24-48hrs. Thanks again and we will just have to wait and see what happens next time.
Regards, Naomi.:)

Did he eat between diving and drinking? Diving takes a lot energy and drinking on an empty tummy will get some people sloshed pretty easy. Eating a high carb/low protein diet will also get you drunk easily.

Based on the dive you described, and assuming no preconditions or fast ascents, I doubt he was bent. Was he on any meds?

I routinely drink casually after diving and never have a problem, but I use different deco practices and go on a high protein/very low carb diet a few days prior to diving too. I certainly don't see how nitrox would contribute to easy intoxication, but who knows, I guess.

Good luck.

Mike

Back
Top Bottom