Alcohol and diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Anecdotally 02 given at 15 liters per with non-rebreather seems to mitigate the effects of ETOH the following day..........or so I hear....

I can't answer the question with any hard science. I just know that for me, a "mature" diver, I will forego alcohol consumption before and during any period of intense diving... which was most of the time for me. I know a lot of younger divers, often dive professionals, who drink like fish and dive (usually the next day). Of course I also know several who have gotten bent. I never have in nearly fifty years of diving.

Another factor is that a tank fill costs almost as much as a beer. Given my limited financial resources (even before the current chaos on Wall Street), it's a "no brainer."

Look guys I would never drink before or during a dive.

I am curious how one would drink during a dive :D

Although alcohol didn't cause this sour diving event, it sure as hell didn't help things either as it was happening. At the bottom of this SMB was myself, and my diving buddy who had spent the better part of 3 hours dry heaving over my shoulder as we drifted after missing the dive site.

Had any more red flags been thrown at me to abort the dive, I would have been impaled with one. Lol.

383968665_U5cQC-L.jpg

Safe to say I've learned a hard-earned valuable lesson, and will NEVER touch a drop of alcohol the night prior to the dive.

Safe diving,

Kenny

Squeeze bottles work well, so do balloons, you can also drink right out of a bottle if you blow some air in first.

Squeeze bottles work well, so do balloons, you can also drink right out of a bottle if you blow some air in first.

I often keep a CapriSun in my BC pocket.

Never heard of SCUDA?
A pouch connected to the mouthpiece via plastic tubing allows you to drink under water.

I often keep a CapriSun in my BC pocket.
Never heard of SCUDA?
A pouch connected to the mouthpiece via plastic tubing allows you to drink under water.

I was being silly, but apparently you can drink underwater :) Learn something every day.

Forgive me, I'm new :)

I try to just think of it as drinking and driving with the added risk of dehydration and getting bent.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom