Alexander Springs Wed

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sylvester

Reaction score
I am gonna try Alexander Springs on Wed. Is there anything specific I should know about that site? I understand from DeLoachs book its only 27 ft?

Is it sandy rocky muddy for the entry and shallows?

Any hazards or things to be aware of?

Thanks

The parking area is 75-100 yards from the water, so be prepared for a bit of a hike. If you manage to get 27 feet, you are doing good. If you have a hood or head rag, wear it, as the sand suspended in the water at the boil works its way into your hair rather deeply. The depth starts out at 1-6 inches and gets deeper as you get closer to the boil. The bottom is pretty much all sand. If there are not a lot of people there, the visibility can be unbelievable. Once in the boil area, there is the main boil with a strong upward flow, a sidecave with a very noticeable outflow, and another boil with some outflow. There are also several "mini-vents".

Marine life there can include fish, turtles, albino crawfish(rare), eels(rare). The last time I was there, I noticed a large blue crab hanging out under a ledge. I don't think that he appreciated the fact that I was staring at him from 10 feet away. In case you hadn't figured it out, I like this spring.

What time were you planning on being there? If the afternoon, I MIGHT be able to join you.

I was gonna leave Orlando at about 9ish so Id be there about 1030 +/-. With all that sand suspended in the water is there a place to rinse gear either down stream or a shower point?

Is located near the entry point to the spring. I find Alexander interesting once, boring twice.

arrggg... bad memories....

Blew my transmission in my Jeep on the drive home after doing that site. I say the site is cursed :)

It is a nice little park, but a very small spring. I tend to agree with metaldector. Been there - down that.

My last time there, we played with a large snapping turtle, and a 6' gator swam right past us. Another diver got some very up close pics.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom