alkin w-31 DIN question?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

reefrat

Contributor
Reaction score
I have a new Alkin W-31 mariner that so far is working out just great for air and nitrox fills (using a stick) but the one annoying issue I have with it is trying to fill DIN valves. The unit comes with a yoke fitting that is removable and that leaves the DIN fitting on the end of the whip. The DIN fitting has no swivel on it so the only way I can find to screw it onto a valve is to spin the whole tank or remove the whip from the compressor- both seem to be inelegant options. Am I missing something here?

Also, even when I attached a DIN tank the fitting leaks when I open the (partially filled) tank valve so it's not gas tight, several attempts made with the same result.
I ended up removing the DIN valve on the tank and replacing with a convertible valve so I can use the yoke fitting on the whip (which works perfectly) and then remove the DIN valve insert. This is OK but the original DIN valve is a better fir for my explorer rebreather and I hope to put it back on if possible.
Any suggestions or comments appreciated, thanks.

Din Filler with Screw Bleed - Upgraded

get one of these. Standard 1/4" npt ont he back which is what should be coming out of your compressor. Has a port to use a standard SPG or button gauge to babysit fill pressures if you want to, and obviously can use the standard screw on yoke adapter that you have on your compressor already

Sounds like an odd setup. Maybe use one of these if there is no Alkin solution.
DGX Premium DIN Fill Adapter.

That looks like it might work! Thanks for the suggestion and the link.
If there was a reliable mail service to Grand Turk I would order one today but I'm still waiting for a mouthpiece that I ordered in January- may have to wait for the next Miami trip.

Din Filler with Screw Bleed - Upgraded

get one of these. Standard 1/4" npt ont he back which is what should be coming out of your compressor. Has a port to use a standard SPG or button gauge to babysit fill pressures if you want to, and obviously can use the standard screw on yoke adapter that you have on your compressor already

Another good option to look at, thank you!

What is the pipe thread on the Alkin? Out of the filter stack it looks like a Back pressure valve installed and the filler hose is 1/4 DN6 made by transferoil.com I'm trying to plumb in an additional filter tower (LF)

I have a new Alkin W-31 mariner that so far is working out just great for air and nitrox fills (using a stick) but the one annoying issue I have with it is trying to fill DIN valves. The unit comes with a yoke fitting that is removable and that leaves the DIN fitting on the end of the whip. The DIN fitting has no swivel on it so the only way I can find to screw it onto a valve is to spin the whole tank or remove the whip from the compressor- both seem to be inelegant options. Am I missing something here?

Also, even when I attached a DIN tank the fitting leaks when I open the (partially filled) tank valve so it's not gas tight, several attempts made with the same result.
I ended up removing the DIN valve on the tank and replacing with a convertible valve so I can use the yoke fitting on the whip (which works perfectly) and then remove the DIN valve insert. This is OK but the original DIN valve is a better fir for my explorer rebreather and I hope to put it back on if possible.
Any suggestions or comments appreciated, thanks.
I use a pair of these plus som HP hose as a fill-whip.
Stainless Steel HPA High Pressure Air Scuba DIN Fill Station Adapter -4500psi | eBay

reefrat, can you post a photo of the din fill fitting? I have an Alkin compressor (not the marine, the land one) and I remember the din fitting was really, really stiff when I first got it. Once it freed up, it was OK and now it spins easily into a tank.

The filler it comes with can be a pain to work with (attached)
The Back pressure valve looks like it is NPT but has a bushing to fit a European hose

Attachments

• alkin 2.jpg
    alkin 2.jpg
    71.2 KB · Views: 97
  • 1 alkin.jpg
    1 alkin.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 72

Back
Top Bottom