Alkin W31 Compressor question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I see these plugs all the time - in Hong Kong! It is for 220V 1Phase. I would just replace the cord with a standard US version like your dryer.

The weird plug is not adding any value to your compressor. Back in the day, my new Bauer had no power cable at all. I ran a dryer cable to the motor. Also, an electrician installed an additional outlet. When my diving locker was constructed the compressor earned its own corner with outlet.

They still come that way!

Craig

Good evening,
I have the same plug as you on my W31.
I purchased the outlet and circuit breaker at my local Home Depot.
Levitron # 5823 single outlet.
Product Details
I used 10 ga wire, 2 hot wires and a ground wire to set up the outlet.
I used a 30 amp fuse for the panel.
The unit draws 12.6 amps running on each leg of the hot wires.
Any questions, p.m. me or post here.
Jim Breslin

Jim, I am not an electrician, but from what I know about wiring that scares the hell out of me. That link looks a lot like a 20A plug designed to allow normal 5-15 cordset use. It would be a Very Bad Thing for someone to come along and plug in a "normal" 15A load into this! The wiring specs indicate that it's intended to be wired Hot-Neutral-Ground, Not Hot-Hot-Ground.

It's also intended for a 20A load, while you've fused for 30. That's using Hot-Neutral though, not Hot-Hot.

Without seeing it, I'm guessing that the OP is probably looking for a NEMA 6-30R. See this page for a pic. Also, the NEMA configuration might be stamped on the supplied plug if he's lucky...

Thanks for all the support!

I am just kidding about backing out!!!

I have to drive EIGHT HOURS to get my tanks filled now, and it costs me $26/tank for Nitrox. (One of the many benefits to living out in the Middle of Nowhere, West Virginia.)

I AM GOING TO GET THIS DAM COMPRESSOR RUNNING IF I HAVE TO BUY A NEW HOUSE!

It is no big deal,just cut off that funky plug and go to the hardware store and buy a 3 prong dryer plug,just get the ground wire in the right place,it doent matter which spot the hot legs go in as long as its not in the ground terminal,which is the 3rd prong by its self. I have been a electrician for 22 years and dont think i have ever seen that plug used on anything,it is probably used in Europe. but they make all kinds of different plugs for the same amps and volts,drives me crazy sometimes,I usually draw a picture of it when I go to match one up unless it is a common type.

TravisD,
Now you got me scared I did something wrong with my wiring.
I looked at the link you posted, and the 6-30R outlet is physically too large for the plug on the compressor.
As for a the outlet being able to plug a standard 15 amp plug, it can't. Only a 250 vac plug will fit, the prongs go in a series vs. parallel.
You have me lost on the wiring, I looked at the wiring diagram and it shows it as being 250vac on the 2 leads and a ground. To get the 250 vac I needed to use 2 circuits on my board at 125vac. each, and the ground. This compressor is set up as a 3 wire system, not a 4 wire system as some others are.
Now for the breaker, that I just don't have an answer for. I will have to look into this and get back to you.
I do know that the comperssor is pulling 12.6 amps on both hot wires, and I have 123 vac. on each leg.
So ,if I don't sleep well tonight I'll have my compressor to thank for that
Thanks, Jim Breslin

My god this place can overcomplicate the simplest things. Just cut off the plug and replace it with a 3wire dryer plug that you get at home depot for $4-5. If you're intimidated by 3 wires a compressor is not really for you.

Black, black and green if I recall mine correctly (although green may have been white). White or green go on the round pin. Black wires go on the angled flat pins. Done. If you screw it up you'll know it cause the breaker will trip for sure.

TravisD,
Now you got me scared I did something wrong with my wiring.
I looked at the link you posted, and the 6-30R outlet is physically too large for the plug on the compressor.
As for a the outlet being able to plug a standard 15 amp plug, it can't. Only a 250 vac plug will fit, the prongs go in a series vs. parallel.

I got things backwards. I was looking at it and thinking it was like a 20A plug that has one "vertical" and one "vertical or horizontal" plug to support 15A and 20A plugs. My apologies

You have me lost on the wiring, I looked at the wiring diagram and it shows it as being 250vac on the 2 leads and a ground. To get the 250 vac I needed to use 2 circuits on my board at 125vac. each, and the ground. This compressor is set up as a 3 wire system, not a 4 wire system as some others are.
Now for the breaker, that I just don't have an answer for. I will have to look into this and get back to you.

2 hots + ground is OK as far as I know. My mis-reading of the plug initially is what made me concerned, and the others stemmed from there. It's probably OK. Again, I'm not an electrician, I've just had enough experience with weird wiring in datacenters to be dangerous! My apologies again.

In reality, as long as all of the devices (including the wiring) are spec'd for the right loads (or better, as long as it's not fused more more load than anything downstream is rated for) then it should be OK. Sorry for the confusion!

TravisD,
Just so you know, You owe me a good night's sleep.
I kept going over everything in my head, and it got pretty noisy in there.

Thanks, Jim breslin

My god this place can overcomplicate the simplest things. Just cut off the plug and replace it with a 3wire dryer plug that you get at home depot for $4-5. If you're intimidated by 3 wires a compressor is not really for you.

Yes, I am intimidated by electrical work. The rest of it doesn't "phase" me. (Sorry for the bad joke!) But I have no choice, see post #14 above!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom