Allegro recommendation

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mlove

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
We will be staying at the Allegro in March. I am not familiar with the room layout, can any one recommend which rooms are closest to the dive shop, not too noisy.
Any rooms that should be avoided? Pros and cons?
I have been staying at Scuba Club for the last several years, but have become unhappy w/ the dive op and long trips to the southern dive sites.
Thanks,
Mike

Like cicopo said, it isn't very big and from what I remember, some of the ones closer to the dive shop where timeshares.

That said, I think we were about 1/2 way between the beach and the resturant which seemed to work well as far as location goes. The one thing I do remember was that they were palapas and we could here the kids in the room next door while their parents were off at the bar.

We will be staying at the Allegro in March. I am not familiar with the room layout, can any one recommend which rooms are closest to the dive shop, not too noisy.
Any rooms that should be avoided? Pros and cons?
I have been staying at Scuba Club for the last several years, but have become unhappy w/ the dive op and long trips to the southern dive sites.
Thanks,
Mike

First, ask for rooms as close to the beach as possible. Second, make sure you are not near the theater . . . very noisy. Not well advertised, but there is a little place on the beach, on the grounds, opposite the dive shop . . great relaxing place to have breakfast. The call it the Mediterranian, I think.

Third, don't fall for their sales pitch. $400 a year plus roughly $90 per person per day is the same price you'll pay anyway.

Dive Palancar is the dive shop.

We got up, set up our gear, went to breakfast. about 7:30, back to pick up gear and head to the dive shop. Come back after two-tank dive, about 1100, go to lunch and cool-down. Sit in hot tub for rest of the afternoon, enjoying mild and free foo-foo drinks.

Take some 10-peso coins. You don't have to tip -- they take good care of you. But, by throwing one to the roving waiter, my class hardly got empty.

oh, yeah -- if you are tipping, don't be heard complainig that the drinks are a little light. I got a margarita . . . :holysheep:

Mar 2009

Great advise,
Thanks

BTW, If you have "Google Earth", search for "Occidental Allegro Cozumel". You will get a nice view of the property.

As you look at it, the very blue pool that you can see to the west is the adults pool. Between it and the next pool is the lunch restaurant. East of that is the family pool. East of that is the children's pool. The children's pool is kind of fun - watching the very young having a blast ...

In front of, west of, the adult pool is the hot tub. Great place to hang out, especially during spring break. :eyebrow:

Dive shop on the south side, Mediterannean (sp?) on the north side.

We loved it to pieces . . . but it ruined my outlook on life. I used to thrill in the challenge of work, and now all I can think of is retirement. :(

I tried to get a grounds map when I visited in Feb but they wouldn't give me one.

They don't have such a thing or they just refused to give it to you? If the latter, I think I would have drawn up a detailed site layout while I was there and posted it on every internet site I could find just out of spite.

Had to have run out of them -- they gave us one in Mar 2009.

OK, here's the story (condensed version). Until last Aug I have served as one of the Destination Experts on the Tripadvisor forum for Cozumel, so every trip I try to get a photo tour at the resorts that we didn't have good info about, or that had recent renovations etc. Last Feb we were going to stay 1 week at the Grand followed by one week at Hotel Cozumel for Carnaval. Knowing that the Allegro had undergone a major change to the property plus it's name I emailed them to arrange for a photo tour. When I had an afternoon available I phoned the person in charge of guest relations & set the time up for my tour, and later headed over with my camera gear.
When I arrived there was some reluctance to allow me to do the tour because I looked a bit too much like a pro looking for work (maybe their paid photographer might see it that way) so my tour needed to be cleared by the manager, but he wasn't available and it took about an hour to get the clearance. Once granted I was given a guided tour, by the head of guest relations who also explained about the kids program etc.
As a serious photography junkie I have pro gear, and I understand the issues of guests not wanting their photo to appear without their knowledge somewhere in print or on the web, so I understand management's concern & other resorts have also been a bit reluctant at first but so far I've always been granted permission to take my photos.
Re the site map, I forgot to ask for one on that visit but made a second trip back hoping to get one but they simply weren't willing to give me one saying simply that they are a part of the welcome package given to guests when they check in.

Back
Top Bottom