Allergic to Neoprene wet suit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

"sharkskin" used to mean simply a patterned, uncovered neoprene surface texture, fwiw. Not a brand name. But you can buy neoprene wetsuits (technically it is "foamed neoprene) that have many different types on interior fabric layers, from a nappy terry-cloth like material to plain lycra. That would prevent any contact with the neoprene and if it is an allergy, prevent it.

The neoprene itself is also not all the same. Try looking for Rubatex (brand) nitrogen-blown neoprene, because it is unlikely that you are actually allergic to the neoprene rubber. Most neoprenes are "foamed" the same way that pancake batter is. They mix chemicals into the batter, heat it up, and bubbles are produced. The chemicals are often unstable or corrosive in the long run and the material actual breaks down and shrinks. (Yes, wetsuits DO shrink, divers don't just get fat.) But "nitrogen blown" neoprene has inert nitrogen gas injected under pressure, and then when the pressure is let off, just like getting the bends, the bubbles form and the INERT and neutral material is formed.

It makes Rubatex nitrogen-blown neoprene more expensive--but it doesn't shrink or break down in three or five years time. If you contact them, I'm sure you can get them to send you a small sample, which you could tape on your forearm to see if there was any reaction. I'd be very surprised if there was.

It *may* be, and I use this term cautiously, possible to tolerate the wetsuit for the time you need to wear it if you were to isolate your skin from the suit with something like olive oil. We used to use olive oil on our skin in lakes where I grew up to protect from certain parasites that causes immune responses similar to allergies. Who knows? maybe it will work for your allergy too....

It won't be good for the suit but it may be worth a try if the goal is more important to you than the suit.

R..

Olive oil would be messy, but vegetable oils won't hurt neoprene, it is immune to many stronger things.

WRT Sharkskin. In the US, in 1980 it was already a common term for the "pebbled" (as opposed to smooth) texture that much of the neoprene wetsuits used back then. So unless the Ozzie company filed and registered their trademark, preferably worldwide or in the US, before 1980...they just appropriated an industry standard term. Their web site and history don't mention when, where, or how they registered the term.

Much as the UK electronics company called "NASA" curiously appropriated the common name of a much older and larger US technology agency. And a similar logotype. Perhaps quite intentionally, to make customers think they are part of the same moon-shot-high-technology. (And oddly enough, the BBC, who certainly should know better, think that NASA is spelled "Nasa", which it never is. Except on the BBC.)

Since you are looking for a tri suit rather than a dive suit, look for one made of geoprene. I have a Matuse tri suit that is geoprene, I'm not sure they make them anymore though. Geoprene is made of some calcium carbonate derivative instead of a petroleum product like a lot of neoprene suits are. Try it out and see if you have the same reaction.

I would also second the idea that getting higher quality rubber might be better for reactions. Either rubatex or yammamoto are brands to look for.

-Chris

Thanks for the suggestion. The suit I'm using is actually an older used suit that I bought from someone. It still may be the glues and adhesives though.

I appreciate the thought and suggestion.

I suspect that you're allergic to the solvents and glues used to weld the seams. These are particularly pungent and powerful in a new suit.

I'm willing to bet that a well worn 'aged' suit causes you no problems. Go to a dive store and see if you can rent a worn wetsuit and see if you have a reaction.
from

Since you are looking for a tri suit rather than a dive suit, look for one made of geoprene. I have a Matuse tri suit that is geoprene, I'm not sure they make them anymore though. Geoprene is made of some calcium carbonate derivative instead of a petroleum product like a lot of neoprene suits are. Try it out and see if you have the same reaction.

I would also second the idea that getting higher quality rubber might be better for reactions. Either rubatex or yammamoto are brands to look for.

-Chris
Interesting i
It *may* be, and I use this term cautiously, possible to tolerate the wetsuit for the time you need to wear it if you were to isolate your skin from the suit with something like olive oil. We used to use olive oil on our skin in lakes where I grew up to protect from certain parasites that causes immune responses similar to allergies. Who knows? maybe it will work for your allergy too....

It won't be good for the suit but it may be worth a try if the goal is more important to you than the suit.

R..
tha k you!

-Chris

I think a lot of manufacturers are doing that now. I think this is just one example:

3mm Quantum Stretch Full Suit - AKMS219

Have you searched the ScubaBoard forum archives with "neoprene allergy" as the search term? There is a good thread at Neoprene Allergy with a summary of SB contributions on the subject with links, some medical information and certain practical solutions for diving with the condition. A forum search will yield plenty of more recent results about the issue.

WRT Sharkskin. In the US, in 1980 it was already a common term for the "pebbled" (as opposed to smooth) texture that much of the neoprene wetsuits used back then. So unless the Ozzie company filed and registered their trademark, preferably worldwide or in the US, before 1980...they just appropriated an industry standard term. Their web site and history don't mention when, where, or how they registered the term.

You a trademark lawyer? I am guessing not. :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom