Allergic to Neoprene wet suit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Adventure Guru

Registered
Reaction score
Hi,

I am training for a triathlon in May and have come across a snag. I seem to be allergic to the neoprene wetsuit. I can think of 2 things that I can do 1 get some sort of spandex that covers my body to put in between me and the wetsuit or 2 but a different wetsuit not made of neoprene, which I'm not sure exists.

What would you suggest I could wear under the wetsuit that would cover me from neck to ankle to wrists under my wetsuit?

The water is going to be very cold and wet suits are highly suggested for warmth.

Thank you so much!!!!!!

Thank you for such a fast response! Are there ones that are better than others?

Me too! So I once wore sports compression pants that seem to work, but now I own sharkskin pants that are perfect when the water is a bit cooler than 78....

If your a large, there's an awesome deal on full sharkskin in the classified I notices yesterday.

Worse case....twenty Claritin tablets should ease the itch:)

never used myself but i seen alot that do as for one better than other i wouldnt think you would need to go expensive its just to give a layer between your body and wetsuit so no real wear and tear will happen

Regular Under Armor should work fine for you, I think.

Lavacore and Sharkskin make full non-neoprene suits that might be suitable if the water isn't too cold.

Have you looked at a Fourth Element Thermocline product? I just picked up a vest to wear beneath my wetsuit for some cool weather dives and was surprised to read on the tag it is not made with neoprene specifically to avoid allergy issues.

Wow thank you everyone. I'm going to look into these. Most likely I will go the more budget friendly route with the under armor due to the expenses of everything else around training for the triatholon.

This has been very helpful.

I suspect that you're allergic to the solvents and glues used to weld the seams. These are particularly pungent and powerful in a new suit.

I'm willing to bet that a well worn 'aged' suit causes you no problems. Go to a dive store and see if you can rent a worn wetsuit and see if you have a reaction.

Back
Top Bottom