Alligator in 60 ft. of Seawater Off Palm Beach, FL?!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

When I was a kid, there was a gator who lived in the channel of Ponce Inlet. He was there for years.

Alligators eat fish, turtles, and anything else that gets too close. I was in Waycross Georgia a few years ago when all the fires were going on. I was part of a federal arson task force. There were firefighters from all over the country and a couple of crew from the west.

My partner and I made a stop at the Okee. State Park. Everything had pretty much burned and there were a group of firefighters mopping up around the area.

Being from Louisiana we both had grown up around alligators. Had boots made from alligator and had regularly eaten alligator.

In the slough in front of the tourist area was about a 10 foot gator that had been laying under the water waiting for a nice meal. Along came a nutria. He grabbed the little rascal from under the water clamped down and did about three good rolls in the water.

After holding his fresh meal under the water for about 10 minutes with nothing but his nose sticking out he gives another couple of rolls, pitches the nutria around clamps down and then goes under the water.

These tough as nails firefighters looked like they had seen an alien. A real eye opener for these guys and gals.

I spoke with Woody Woodward with Florida Fish & Game, he is in their alligator projects section. He indicated that in clear water, alligators may rest on the bottom motionless in one hunting mode. They stay that way until prey comes within striking range, underwater. Looking at how motionless the gator is in the imagery, makes you wonder if that is what this individual was up to? Someone should pass that possibility on to Laz. Not sure there will be a next time but if there is, even more distance might be a good idea. May ruin a good photo op but beats ruining a perfectly good diver. Alligators aren't all that able to chew prey into smaller bits. They use rotational forces in a "death roll" to drown and then dismember prey. Some prey is stashed underwater following this to soften up, like hanging meat only submerged. So, they seem to do ok dealing with prey underwater. More at:

Crocodilians in the US: The American Alligator and The American Crocodile- Final Draft

Clip of a small gator rolling to manage a frog for dinner:
YouTube - alligator death roll

Back
Top Bottom