Almost a poll...how many divers on this board are landlocked?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We are Lucky to have several "diveable lakes or Quarries with in an hour or so...We go to the Caribbean three or four times a year.

Cressidvr9...isn't Grenada Lake just a few miles(60 to 75) south of you...I lived in Tueplo for a couple of years while n College at Ole Miss. Oringinally From Columbus. Several of my friends used to dive at the Dam...limited vis...but Huge Blue Cats (6 to 8' long)

Mad:upset:

We have a compression chamber here for divers going thru withdrawal. We put them underwater and push it to 3 atmospheres and they think they're diving. It's tough love but so far we have an 85% survival rate. If we didn't do it they'd knock their brains out diving into frozen lakes. It's part of a Michigan Winter Rescue Class.:eek:

What am I?

I don't have gills
I live 8 miles from the ocean
I have feet not fins
I spend over 95% of all my hours on land

Did you figure it out?

Almost a poll...how many divers on this board are landlocked?

Just one, ME! :) (However, there are a couple of moose leaving tracks, spore and other sign on the board. We do make a mess don't we? )

Seriously, 20 minutes to the Fall River. 30 Minutes to the Snake River. 45 Miuntes to Ririe Resivour. 90 Minutes to the Firehole River in Yellowstone Park.

For winter diving about 3 hours to the nearsest warm water (a hot mud hole in Utah called Belmont Hot Springs.) 6 Hours to Blue Lake in Wendover Nevada. About 14 hours to the ocean (Pacific Northwest.) Maybe 20 hours to Catalina Island water and probably about 72 hours to take a plane to Malyasia?

About 5 minutes to the quarry. Dove once - not really diving if you ask me. About 30 minutes to Lake Ontario. Never done it. Too cold (I know I'm a puss). Three hours by air from warm water.

I'm about two hours (or four depending on London traffic) drive from the nearest south coast sites.
But there's the swamp called Wraysbury near the airport (45 minutes) where the operators have the nerve to charge five quid for the privilege of seeing discarded household items sitting at the mud bottom.

I'm fed up and so leaving to the Southern Hemisphere next month (hurrahhh!!!)

Lets see Calgary, AB Canada, check out a map, I have a little thing called the Rockies in between here and the ocean!!! Luckily we have Lake Minnewanka in Banff National park for both summer and ice diving during the winter which is 3 degrees at the surface... in the SUMMER!!! I need a vacation... and soon!!!!:bonk:

10 minutes to the river - vis - zero to 18 inches.
40 minutes to the lake - vis - zero to 18 feet
2½ hours to the springs - vis all the way across
3½ hours to the Gulf - vis anybody's guess
Rick :)

1.25 Hours South to Circleville Twin Quarries

2.5 Hours to Whitestar Quarry

3 Hours to Gilboa Quarry

5 Hours to "Good" Diving in Lake Erie out of Barcelona, NY

Seemingly Countless hours to warm, saltwater diving.

C_C

>>I'm about 1.5 hours to the nearest spot from Albuq., Blue Hole in Santa Rosa. Not a bad spot, with great viz and constant 62° water temp. <<

62 degrees F? In Florida, the springs are a constant 72 degrees year round. I had assumed that this was some universal constant having to do with the temperature of the earths mantle or some such thing, but maybe not. Is it really a constant 62 degrees.

Anyway, as for the question at hand...5 hours to the Gulf and 5 hours to the Atlantic, from Atlanta. Kind of sucks. Also there are a couple of nearby manmade, huge, and deep lakes within an hours drive (although I haven't really heard anyone talk about diving in them although I'm sure its done), and within 2.5 hrs drive, some established quarry and lake dives with a decent reputation. Haven't been to any of the local stuff yet as I am a relatively new diver, but may have to start as my desire to dive routinely becomes increasingly unquenchable.

-Dave

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom