Almost a thousand dollars for a light?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I just picked up a Salvo 35w (speaking of pricey). But every time the loan sharks come knocking at my door, I just shine it in their eyes which usually blinds them long enough to get a good head start. I keep a 10w DR MR11 as a back-up and my old primary light has been relegated to the closet.

It's about as bad as lenses.

I could've spent $200-300 for a lens and had a marginal 75-300mm, but for only $500, I could have the 70-200mm f/4L! Of course, since I like to shoot low-light ambient, too, for only about $600 more, I could have the 70-200mm f/2.8L! Well, then I got to thinking, why would I want the $1100 f/2.8L, when for a *mere* $700 more, I could have the 70-200mm f/2.8L IS?!?

I don't seem to have developed the ability to justify the top-of-the-line HID can lights yet, but I *did* get the "Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM" as my first new lens, and I haven't regretted it. (Of course, that led to the 24-70mm f/2.8L, the 10-22mm...) It can be really hard to justify buying a really nice, really expensive piece of gear, but the pleasure of using it is an amazing analgesic.

(On the other hand, I can no longer blame any sub-prime shots on my lenses. :biggrin:)

It can be really hard to justify buying a really nice, really expensive piece of gear, but the pleasure of using it is an amazing analgesic.

Beautifully put!

My Salvo was worth every penny. It is not cheap but if you can manage it buy one. You will never regret the purchase.

I agree, light envy is a serious problem. I'll never forget the first time I saw a can light (HID). I made my light look like a candle next to the Sun. At that moment I knew I had to have one of my own.

I agree with BabyDuck, "you don't *need* a can light for wrecks, but you'll *want* one."

I was doing just fine, and then I went a dived with some folks out of town who had those HID thingies (none of my buddies locally did). The lights were obviously brighter than my cheepo, and at first I didn't see the big deal. But then the more dives I made with those folks, the more I began to appreciate the difference. Besides the illumination factor, the use of these lights as a communication tool completely changed the work-load, and therefore quality, of the dive.

I started asking questions, looking on line, posting threads about them, and before I knew it, I'd developed full on light envy.

I started justifying - $1200.00 dollars for a piece of "life saving safety equipment" wasn't so bad, was it? Other hobbyists spend at least that much on, say, a useless set of golf clubs.

Then I started plotting a way to come up with the funds. Hummm....a second job would cut into my diving time, so that was out.

So I sold our camping trailer and bought the Salvo.

Non-diving friends couldn't believe it. You sold your trailer to by a flashlight??

But it didn't end there. Several of my local buddies started looking sideways at me. At first when I told them how much I paid for the light, they'd say, "Well, that's just crazy." Then later after a few more dives, "Well, that's a lot, but it sure is a nice light." And then finally, "Twelve hundred, you say? Well, that's not really so bad."

And now several of my buddies own HIDs.

So, my suggestion is, don't dive with divers who own HID can lights, and you'll be just fine.

Did you sell your trailer to another diver that just sold his house for a new scooter? Diving is an evil, evil money eating monster but it sure is great!

I agree, a lot depends on the type of diving you do. For general stuff the UK HID Light Cannon would work fine (about $250.00).

But the canister lights really are better. Put a Goodman handle on it and you can still use your fingers, signaling ability, burn time, brightness -- that's why I have a Salvo...

My HID is a hybred. I've got a Salvo canister and with a 24 watt HID made by Howard Sandroff. It's rock solid and built like a tank.

Not My picture, but here's the light head:
attachment.php

Back
Top Bottom