Almost died today--Any captains out there???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
In your opinion a new diver knows more about the weather than a seasoned boat Capt...that got it wrong anyway.
Of course not. The diver can still decline to go tho. I did once. I respected the captain very much, still do. But I saw lightening and called the first morning dive before going in. I guess this skipper knew the clouds were moving away, but I acted within my own comfort zone that ay.
And then again there are some people who just really shouldn't be diving because they really aren't cut out for the sport. Which I'm leaning to at the moment.
Aww, I think they'd be fine on a Key Largo newbie boat, no speargun, holding hands - and maybe shopping for more surface signaling devices. 2 divers, 1 sausage, no whistle - don't know about a dive light.

He can go hunting with his buds another time.

Aww, I think they'd be fine on a Key Largo newbie boat, no speargun, holding hands - and maybe shopping for more surface signaling devices. 2 divers, 1 sausage, no whistle - don't know about a dive light.

He can go hunting with his buds another time.

But Don, you never know when lunch will swim up and want to commit suicide. Even if you are not actively hunting, you can carry a gun 'just in case', even if you never cock it. Recently I've made a couple of easy drifts in S. Fla. without the gun, and eveytime I've had cobia come up to me being nosey,.........if..........only..........I..........had..........the............gun.........AHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

But Don, you never know when lunch will swim up and want to commit suicide. Even if you are not actively hunting, you can carry a gun 'just in case', even if you never cock it. Recently I've made a couple of easy drifts in S. Fla. without the gun, and eveytime I've had cobia come up to me being nosey,.........if..........only..........I..........had..........the............gun.........AHHHHHHHHHHHHH!
I'd be the same about my camera probly. It'd be better to leave it in my bag so I could give the newbie GF more attention, but if I did - then I'd miss the whale shark, dolphins, marlins, whatever.

And then again there are some people who just really shouldn't be diving because they really aren't cut out for the sport. Which I'm leaning to at the moment.

I wonder too if this isn't a case of the boyfriend trying to get the new diver girlfriend to dive at his comfort level. I see that far too often, people dragging buddies into dives selfishly because they want to dive even though their buddy/partner is not ready for certain situations.

I wonder too if this isn't a case of the boyfriend trying to get the new diver girlfriend to dive at his comfort level. I see that far too often, people dragging buddies into dives selfishly because they want to dive even though their buddy/partner is not ready for certain situations.

Helping with classes I saw this all the time. . .

The fiance is getting certified so she and her to be husband have something to do together on vacation. . . Saw this on my last vaca too, wife was WAY freaked out, and husband kept trying to get her to just relax and dive . . .

Helping with classes I saw this all the time. . .

One of the top two red flags for me when assessing new students is a couple taking the course. I've actually seen two couples split very shortly after certification and saw it coming through the entire course.

The top three:

1) I want to overcome my fear of water:shakehead:
2) Couples
3) Father and kid

I've developed a pretty good strategy for working with 2 and 3, but do all I can to get the #1 to drop the class and overcome their fear first.

One of the top two red flags for me when assessing new students is a couple taking the course. I've actually seen two couples split very shortly after certification and saw it coming through the entire course.

The top three:

2) Couples
3) Father and kid

I've developed a pretty good strategy for working with 2 and 3, but do all I can to get the #1 to drop the class and overcome their fear first.

4) These Mojitos are yummy and that DiveMaster is some kinda h-o-t.

The top three:

2) Couples
3) Father and kid

I've got a new one for ya. I know a guy who got certified because his wife was running out of gifts to buy him. So, he decided to get into SCUBA to open up new ideas for gifts. Yeah, they have a little too much money...

"WaterWarrior" really needs to develop his buddy skills.

Did he really say that he considered leaving his girlfriend/buddy alone at the surface?

I wouldn't expect him to ditch his speargun for is it really asking too much to consider the mental state of your buddy?

Between the two of them there was only 1 "working" SMB? I wonder which of them bothered to bring an unemployed SMB to a dive in the ocean?

He even admits that she was panicked at some point & ditched her weights (why ditch weights when all you need to do is surface).

BlueAnchor stated this thread looking to blame the boat operator for her shaken feelings and was very intent on getting the approval of SB to the point that she has hacked-up the OP several times.

Poor Forum Form for sure! I hope he is a better boyfriend than dive buddy.

This forum really sucks, doubt you guys dive anywhere close to the ammount you post. Especially Wreckdivingfool. Im out. Diving a nice wreck I marked yesterday after work while fishing this afternoon if it doesnt storm

I just have to laugh even harder at this entire situation here. Out of 19 pages of replies and postings, we get HOW MANY from Waterwarrior? FOUR POSTINGS!! It seems that NOW he wants to go dive a wreck that he just marked the other day. Again, it seems another ditch effort to get more attention as we have stated before.

And by the way Waterwarrior, when YOU dive the Andrea Doria, do SAR work for a major hurricane, and have over 4500 dives, THEN come back to me and tell me that you have experience.

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom