Almost died today--Any captains out there???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
After slogging through 19 pages, I've got 2 pieces of advice for blueanchor:

1) Don't dive again. Seriously, based on what I've read, you are not cut out for it. I can't imagine what would have happened if you had been in a serious predicament and not just waiting for a boat pickup on a drift dive, which is pretty much what you do on a drift dive, wait for a boat pickup. One of the things you learn in rescue class is to recognize and avoid situations before they become "Situations". Based on what I've read, you are just a "Situation" waiting to happen.

2) Get a new boyfriend!!

Exactly what criteria do you think the operator should use? And why (supporting facts & data)? And what effect will that criteria and its rational have on their liability?

No one is talking liability. A drift can be intimidating. First you are dropping free which some people have problems with. Next it is not unusual for new divers to have trouble clearing quickly which you must do to keep up with the group. A new diver is apt to "freak" if seperated from the group which also sometimes happens. And a new diver is not generally used to popping up and finding no boat, which sometimes happens. All these things dont usually bother a more seasoned diver. A dive from an anchored boat is much easier. I would have made sure that my dm or a more experienced diver was with this new diver to ease her fears if perceived "problems" occured. I do not think there is any blame to be layed on anyone. What I am saying is this may prevent a new diver from really growing to love the sport and giving it up. I have seen many new divers who had something happen that was really benign to the rest of us turn them against diving which is really a shame because they missed out on so much.

No one is talking liability.

I think you must have came into the thread late and not read the whole thing. The OP is on like version 12 I think.

BlueAnchor has to edited it trying to gain approval. For example the first draft did in fact ask about liability even going so far as to say the boat captian almost got her killed and she was looking at how to "address" the situation.

The story has changed so much that I doubt even BlueAnchor or her boyfriend/dive buddy WaterWarrior remember the original version.

She completed her profile? Good. Don't think she had when the first posts asking went up.

So why did your buddy let you ascend alone?
Hi Dandydon - He was badly hung over and I was taking photo's looked round and he was gone. As he wasnt on the surface I assumed he had either found something interesting or gone off somewhere to throw up.

I thought there were a couple of questions that could have been answered by reading the OP like did you have a buddy. Unless you can alter your messages - is this so?

regards
Ardy

I thought there were a couple of questions that could have been answered by reading the OP like did you have a buddy. Unless you can alter your messages - is this so?
You can indeed edit posts for several hours before that is turned off, and she did after her thread title attracted so much attention and a large number of posts.

Whenever I edit a post I generally insert Edit: before additional info added to avoid confusion, but that's my style - and she is new here.

Take the PADI lightning diver course, it will allay your fears about being in salt water during a thunderstorm.

That is some of the funniest stuff I have heard in a long time. You had me rolling for a few minutes.

I think the OP has long since left the room.....

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

**Moderator Post**​

This thread has been cleaned up in an attempt to salvage what there is of it that may help other divers. I have deleted posts from the last few pages that were off topic, insulting, unfriendly, flaming, referring to deleted posts, etc. If the thread deteriorates again, it will be permanently closed.

Everyone whose posts were deleted is aware of the friendly, non-flaming nature of the Basic Scuba forum. Please abide by these rules.

Thank you, we now return to our show...

man, this thread is really "kicking ass" with activity since we took out all the whinning and post reporting.... :rofl3:

I think most SBers are in agreement on what happened here and unfortunately that agreement didn't get the kind of response BlueAnchor & WaterWarrior were looking for so there really isn't much point.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom