Almost left at a Reef

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

How far did the boat move and were they still in the process of moving when you came up? I.E. were they headed for shore or just moving a short distance. I would be surprised if they were headed in to shore if they still had lines out.

I used this operation last summer, seemed pretty reasonable, except the tank issue (you either had to have a boot on or give it to the crew so they could put the tank in for you - also no outside shoes on the boat, i guess its cos they didnt want to scratch up the new boat). I had a much better set of dives with them than with their neighbours that i have heard great things about (but have yet to experience great things with them) - Tavernier Dive Center/Charter, cant recall. Even so, if i end up back there i might dive with either of them again, still prefer some other ops in the area who i have had great experiences with.

I guess I'm one that would throw them under the bus. There is never an excuse to leave a diver behind.

When are dive operators going to realize that head counts do not work. I repeat, HEAD COUNTS DO NOT WORK. A roll call is the only sure method of making sure everyone is one board. Any dive operator not performing roll calls is negligent, IMHO.

CA Diver:
Here is my dive report from Sunday April 24 while diving with Florida Keys Dive Center in Tavernier.

The trip was planned for two afternoon reef dives with about 12 to 14 divers on the boat. There were two divers doing OW dives one and two on the boat with an instructor. Thankfully the mother of one of these students is associated with a dive boat in North Carolina (more on this later).

While there's no excuse for not being able to count 14 divers, you were making things difficult for them, and are at least part of the reason you almost get left.

When your buddy returned to the boat, you should have also.

If the captain said be back on the boat in 60 minutes or less, and everybody else is already back on the boat after 45 or 50 or whatever, you waiting 59 minutes to surface is just being a wiseass.

Regardless of what the captain says, if you're diving with a group, and they're not in the water anymore, you shouldn't be either, unelss you want a bad movie made about your "mysterous" disappearance.

Terry

jviehe:
I agree. There is no excuse for not doing a thorough roll call. Havnt we all seen Open Water by now? I would report this to PADI (if they are a PADI resort).

According to their website, http://www.floridakeysdivectr.com/

They boast they are a PADI Career Development Center.
Scary if this is the way they are teaching... especially other instructors......

Web Monkey:
When your buddy returned to the boat, you should have also.

If the captain said be back on the boat in 60 minutes or less, and everybody else is already back on the boat after 45 or 50 or whatever, you waiting 59 minutes to surface is just being a wiseass.

First count true - on the flip, there are many of us who are comfortable hanging out at 15-20' just relaxing and watching the fishes, especially since a divers SAC tends to drop as they gain experience and you have LOTS of air to work with in comparison to what newer divers have.

That being said, I have hardly any dives that are under 60m in length.. those under that time limit were either called dives OR they were dives in the keys on the only boats I've ever dived on that give you a time limit. :)

This is a situation that calls for formal reports to both the dive agency involved and the US Coast Guard.

There is NO excuse for a Captain to leave a diver in the water.

The moment you think there should be an exception remember that it might be you one day and also on a vessel at sea the CAPTAIN IS RESPONSIBLE!

If the captain said 60 minutes then the diver has EVERY RIGHT to 60 minutes, not 55 nor even 59 but 60.

Even if he was not on the surface at 65 minutes is no reason to drive away. The diver could be in trouble on the bottom and might even still be alive with some chance of rescue. Once the boat leaves the chances of a sucessful rescue become tiny.

So far we have heard only one side of the story but I think that formal investigations by PADI and USCG are probably in order.

The lack of a roll call is troubling, very troubling.

My understanding is that the diver surfaced at 59 minutes, AFTER the boat had moved.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom