Almost out of air situation

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TSandM,

Yes, we normally call it "cut-off air or gas" in the Philippines for turn pressure.

Yes, I agree. I simply misunderstood his signal and assumed; since he was finning quite alot and also I had to assist him at one point.

Thats what my 2nd buddy said that 1st buddy should have told either one of us that he was low on gas by showing his SPG.

I kept on repeating the whole situation in my head and was also thinking that if it was me and I hit the turn pressure, I would have went to one who was leading and showed him my gauge.

Regards,

I think he said his "cutoff gas" was 70 bar, or about 1000 psi. I'm assuming that's either turn pressure or rock bottom.

I think there are two lessons here. One is that signals should be unequivocal, and should be given in a emphatic fashion so they are clear. The other is that the person with the problem needs to be insistent if he doesn't think the message has gotten across. When you didn't respond appropriately to the first "low on air" signal, he should have repeated it, or shown his gauge, or pulled out his wetnotes -- something to ensure the information was conveyed. It's very easy to be too passive as a follower.

In the end, if nothing else serves to convey the information, there is always a thumb.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom