Almost ready for SP-350 and PT-030...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jinjer:
I just got a SP-350 with the PT-030 housing at the beginning of the month while in Grand Cayman. I got it with the TTL adaptor which provides full TTL capability with my Sea & Sea strobe. I also picked up the Inon wide angle lens to use with it.

I think it is a great setup, and have been very happy with the results. My issues now are not the camera, but my own abilities to properly aim my strobe and get close..

I liked the camera so well, that I picked up another one from Costco for $199, because the price is too good to pass up.

I did post some of the photos I took with the camera.

http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?t=159172

which ttl adaptor are you using? ( I went the cheap route

I am intrested of going that route.
(Wanted to spend the extra $$ on a good strobe down the road)
. for now I got el cheapo Sun Pak Remote II flash via fiber optic cable lol

It is the Heinrichs-Weikamp Replacement Bulkhead. Unfortunately it isn't exactly the cheap route. I got it from Cathy Church's shop in Grand Cayman. I paid an additional $200 to have them install it in the housing. I know Reef Photo will install it for $225.

It is definitely a great investment.

also found 1gig xD-H cards at Frye's Outpost for 29.99 with free shipping. Lowest I've seen them so far.
here

Scubasw:
If your still considering a housing for your Nikon 5900 look here http://www.fantasea.com/product_details.asp?id=107
I use this housing for my 7900 camera and have been very happy with it. All of my recent pictures on my homepage were taken using this housing/camera.

They also have trays/arms and flashes for this housing/setup.

I have the 5700 not 5900. I've looked at the Fantasea CP-8 which runs in the $600 range.

Continuing down this road, what about adding a strobe? Do I need to look at connecting to the hot shoe? Is that more trouble than it's worth?

What is going to be my best setup for long-term? I see this camera/housing/strobe setup being with me for years and i want to make the best economical choices.

Hmm

I would go with the ikelite housing so you don't need to go down the modification path of the PT-030 ( which I will be facing in the next year or so on my quest to improve my setup)

FastAttack:
Hmm

I would go with the ikelite housing so you don't need to go down the modification path of the PT-030 ( which I will be facing in the next year or so on my quest to improve my setup)

The modification is VERY simple and in fact, Olympus built the housing with the idea that you could do this modification. The Ikelite housing (from what I have seen, never used) is significantly bigger than the Olympus housing and looks more cumbersome. Being that large, I would wonder about it being too positive also, so it may require weight or heavy tray to keep it neutral or slightly negative. The olympus housing is a pretty good deal at $200, and the TTL connector (which connects to the hot shoe) and works with Nikonos TTL compatable strobes (not just Ikelite strobes) is another $200 or so.

As a long long time Nikon cool pix shooter, its time for you to embrace the dark side and cross over to Olympus.....I did!

Having full manual control of shutter speed and f-stop is something the cool pix never gave me..........and fantasea housings suck after flooding 3 of them, plus they don't even off a power on/off switch or give you full camera functionality. double poop on that.

Oly SP-320 owner, PT-030 housing, Sealife 960 strobe.............awesome great first full manual control set-up. Now time to as a YS-90 strobe and we'll be set for a while.

FastAttack:
Hmm

What is the modification to the PT-030?

I'm now fully decided on the SP-350 and PT-030. I received an offer to become the U.S. distributor for Bruder housings out of Germany. Unfortunately, the details were almost non-existant, no price breaks offered for being a dealer ($1,500 USD for housing for my Coolpix 5700). Pretty much a "Trust me, you'll love it. You don't need to have one to show people." type deal. Uh, yea, I just fell of the turnip truck, can I have two?

Anyway, I'll be buying the SP-350 within two weeks and the PT-030 probably a week later. I believe I willdesign my own tray and arm (CAD/CAM is my paying job) and have a friend fabricate it. Then buy Loc-Line for the arms. Their site lists all the parts needed and it comes in about 20% of what Blue Fin or others charge for the U/W setups.

Again, what modification to the PT-030?

Thanks.

jbichsel:
What is the modification to the PT-030?

If you want to be able to use TTL with your strobe and the PT-030 housing, the only modification you need to the housing is to install the Heinrichs-Weikamp Replacement Bulkhead. T

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom