Almost ready to make my first purchase

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

brocnizer

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I went diving for the first time 1.5 years ago and was hooked. I have done a total of 7 dives since then and want to purchase my first set of equipment. I do have an open water certification.

Since I have only used rental equipment in the past, my experience is very limited in what to look for. I read a ton online and in this forum.

I will probably be making 2 drive trips a year with each being a week long. Since I am new, I do not want to bust the bank account just yet. As I get more experience I will upgrade once I find out what I really want to do.

How does this package look? I would upgrade to the dive computer and compass. Also, I will probably buy 2 sets (one for the wife). Should I maybe get her a female BCD or does that really not matter?

Thanks

Dacor Talon BC and Aeris A1 Package, Packages: BC and Reg, Dacor, Dacor Talon BC and Aeris A1 Package

First of all you need to spend more time reading here and you or your wife needs to spend some time in the womens forum to get a feel for the ladies BCs and if one is appropriate. Some gals are content with a "mens" cut other find a ladies moder advantageous.

The second question I have is where do you call home? This is a subtle hint to add some meat to your profile. The reason I ask is that it's best that your equipment be suitable for your local diving as well since that is how you will both become proficient and safe divers.

Pete

Thanks Pete.

Well, right now I live in NJ, but I do not dive here nor do I plan to. All of my dives will be in the Caribbean. Moreover, I am here just temporarily for another year and will be moving back to North FL. This summer I will be taking my boat to the keys to do a 8 day dive trip in Key largo.

I do not want to get crazy. When I dive, I do not feel the need to go deeper than 70 feet. I mostly like to dive in the 35-55 foot range.

That about sums up where I am in my dive adventures. Although, when I move back to North FL I might start spear fishing off shore, but that will be at least 2-3 years down the road as most good spots in North FL for fishing are in the 130 foot range. So I'll let my skills build for a few years before I attempt that.

Okay, that helps a lot.

For one thing we can say that you have no real requirement for a cold water regulator. You may venture past 70 feet eventually but we can also say you have no technical aspirations. That essentially mean that anything will work. 2 things to consider:
1. Buying the best you can afford generally means nicer breathing.
2. Get something that you can get serviced locally. That's iffy since you are planning a move however in FL any common brand will have representation reasonably close. You'll be in FL when it's time for annual service so shop loyalty will be of little value. Also for now you will be on vacation if and when trouble strikes. That's a reason to stay with a very popular brand like Sherwood or ScubaPro.

As for the BCs it's all about fit and unless you have each had experience with a model & size I would suggest you find a LDS with a pool and plan to make that purchase locally. BC service needs are infrequent but if it's the same brand as your regulators then getting it all done is painless.

I have good luck with Aeris computers and they seem to have a good track record.

Pete

Thanks!

That helps a lot. After reading more on this forum, I would like to try a back inflate BC. When I search for them, none really mention if they are or not. I assume you just look at the pic and see if the bladder is on the back.

For instance, is this one? I will go try it on locally before I buy. Since I am new I am not all to familiar with the brands, but people on this forum seem to have positive remarks about Zeagle.

Zeagle Scout BCD, BCDS: Women, Zeagle, Zeagle Scout BCD

For browsing the Leisurepro.com sight will let you filter for back inflate. Be sure to try one in the water. In some ways it behaves different than what you trained with. It's mostly good but not everyone cares for it.

Zeagle is good stuff.

Pete

Just want to emphasize what spectrum said about having your wife choose her own gear. I am a woman and my husband is far more experienced in diving than I am (divemaster and over 25 yrs exp). I almost always follow his advice but there's no way that he would ever even dream of buying me gear without my approval. I researched my regulators to death before I settled on my Scubapro MK25 and went through one traditional back inflate before I realized that a BP/W was really what I preferred. (ok, so I should have listened to him on that one)

My point is that I love diving and all that goes along with it: researching gear specs, learning about decompression algorithms before buying my computer, etc. I firmly believe that spouses who do all the purchasing decisions and travel destination research are probably diving with a spouse who doesn't really understand their gear or what kind of diving they can do. I highly encourage you, if you haven't done so already, to not make any gear choices for your wife. Make her go and choose her own gear and tell you why she wants what she wants.

Unfortunately, I've seen more than one wife/girlfriend on boats whose SO set everything up and practically dressed them. They have always been the ones who also hold on to their SO's hands for the entire dive and have poor dive skills overall.

If you want your wives to be your best dive buddies, then *make* them be independent and critical thinkers underwater. Otherwise you are a solo diver with accompaniment.

Sorry...getting off my soapbox now

Make her go and choose her own gear and tell you why she wants what she wants.

Point well taken scubamickey.

On the technical side I have taken the lead and do most of the maintenance stuff but post dibe clean-up for example is all hands and she'll take the lead if I have a commitment. When we bought our original gear I explained my regulator selection and bought mine, letting her dive it for our first check-out dive. She liked it and kept it and I bought a twin for myself for weekend 2. When it came to the BC she was like Cinderella until she found the one that she felt right in. 3 or 4 weekends in various dive shop got the answer she needed. After over 100 dives she has no regrets.

Over the years she has become more technically aware and if we are in a dive shop she is just as likely to be the one making a purchase of her own selection. If a spouse is not driven to the technical details you can support him or her with guidance but you must keep them involved.

Pete

For browsing the Leisurepro.com sight will let you filter for back inflate. Be sure to try one in the water. In some ways it behaves different than what you trained with. It's mostly good but not everyone cares for it.

Zeagle is good stuff.

Pete

I pass by lesiurepro.com every day in NYC, I just haven't had the chance to go inside yet. Maybe next week I'll go in and have a talk with them.

Thanks again for all of the advice

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom