Almost ready to open...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

As usual, it was great to see old friends again!

Marvel & Zendiva, it made Tess' day when you were there to cheer her across the finish line. She was really touched by how wonderful you are. I think you both made a friend for life. Yes, we did pack her in ice for the drive home.

not in a scuba sense, no.

What a great time I attending the Florida Dive Show this past weekend in WPB! In theory I went to the show to help out NetDoc with the Scubaboard booth- in reality I spent lots of time wandering the aisles of the show checking out all the exhibitors & their wares. Despite this being the first year of the show, there were a lot of interesting vendors at the show- from dive resorts to magazines to equipment manufacturers both large & small. Plus, I had a wonderful time hanging out with a lot of friends & meeting new ones. My dive sistuh Scuba_Jenny, the Hermit Crab, Krista (KBeck), Diane (ZenDiva from Scubaboard & Zendiving.com ), DyvrDan, Padipro, Walter- too many friends to list &, of course, NetDoc who kept me entertained all weekend with his stories & jokes. I cannot even begin to remember all the folks I met, both current Scubaboard members & future ones. Got to spend time with Curt Bowen- former Moderator on SB & the publisher of Advanced Diver Magazine. His friend Jakub, now a new member & the owner of Golum Gear. Both great guys with lots of interesting stories to share & were a lot of fun to hang out with. Unfortunately, I wasn’t able to attend any of the conference events & I missed meeting Gary Gentile & other speakers who came by the booth while I was out looking around. One of my favorite moments actually did not take place at the show, however. A friend & fellow diver, Tess Madeya from Ft Myers was running her 10th marathon in WPB. About 4 miles into the race, she felt something pop in her hip & was not able to keep running- it turned out to be a torn muscle. She determined that she was going to finish the race any way & WALKED the rest of the course- a total of 26.2 miles. Walter, Diane & I went down to watch her cross the finish line, which she did in a couple minutes less than 6 hours. Her tears of joy at completing her 10th marathon made me start crying too.

A couple of highlights from my visits to the booths. Mind you, these are MY favorites:

The guys from Atomic Aquatics have come up with a couple of new masks. One of them is really stylish looking- a double lens with a black frame & red accents that my friend Dan wants to get. The one I fell in love with, however, was a VERY low profile single lens mask. They expect to have them on the market by Christmas or the New Years. Chad & Darcy were real sports about modeling them for a picture. (which is still on Pete's camera)

Dive Chronicles Magazine was there handing out magazines that featured an article on Jonah, a turtle who was swallowed by a fish that was caught & cut open in time to save him. The really cool thing was that Jonah was there, complements of Marinelife Center of Juno Beach. Jonah will spend a year visiting different venues to help increase ocean awareness before being released back into his natural habitat.

I’m not a real fan of wearing tee-shirts but I was impressed by the designs of Bottom Crawlers. Cool stuff! On the art side, Pascal Lecorq was there & was so gracious about signing postcards for the Hermit Crab & Colin’s little boy, X-Man. Lots of interesting resorts were there too- Henrik, from Wakatobi Dive Resort , couldn’t seem to stay in his booth either- I kept running across him everywhere all weekend handing out brochures. That’s one place near the top of my list of places I want to dive some day.

Of course, my favorite booths were the equipment manufacturers. Diane & I spent some time at OMS talking gear with Jack. Diane, who is in the process of getting certified, tried on a backplate/wing- she looked as if she liked it... I had a great conversation about GUE & the DIR philosophy with the guys at the Halcyon booth.

The guys in yellow & black at the Silent Diving booth kept luring me in to talk about rebreathers….tempting but just not practical for someone who primarily does beach diving as I do. Funny, I kept getting drawn to all the booths with rebreathers. Curt had a couple of KISS units at his booth that I looked over too. :D

Most of all, I really want to thank Lamar Hires from DiveRite for the 30-40 minutes that he spent explaining their new rebreather system to a couple of us. I walked away with a much better understanding of how rebreathers work- the advantages & disadvantages. I really liked the new O2ptima’s cartridge O2 scrubber- much more environmentally friendly & easy to handle than existing scrubbers.

When the show finally ended, Pete & I went out to dinner with Chris & Jared from Zeagle. Chris is the inventor of the Rapid Diver system- a really cool compact dive system used primarily by military & first response divers. Perfect for some shallow beach diving though… :05:

Truly a fantastic weekend- worth missing some dives for!

Marvel:
Got to spend time with Curt Bowen- former Moderator on SB & the publisher of Advanced Diver Magazine. His friend Jakub, now a new member & the owner of Golum Gear. Both great guys with lots of interesting stories to share & were a lot of fun to hang out with.

Thanks Marvel

Had a good time at the show and It was nice to spend some time with you and ScubaJenny.

May I say, you look very nice in black! Maybe Jakub and I can come over for some dives someday.

Curt Bowen

Curt Bowen:
Thanks Marvel

Had a good time at the show and It was nice to spend some time with you and ScubaJenny.

May I say, you look very nice in black! Maybe Jakub and I can come over for some dives someday.

Curt Bowen

Why, thank you kind sir! just for that, you & Jakub are welcome anytime! :05:

Well this was the first Florida Dive Show in West Palm Beach and my first as well so if I forget anyone’s name I apologize ahead of time. I soaked in a great deal this weekend.

First and Foremost I’d like to say what a pleasure it was to meet Pete (NetDoc) and thank him for allowing me to hang out in his Scuba Board Booth…(I did hand out Scubaboard stickers along w/ my zendiving cards) Pete is an absolute pleasure and I hope to have the opportunity to meet up with him again some day for a dive, another event such as this or the opportunity for a chat.

As someone new to the diving world I found this to be very educational, trying on equipment, getting to see different things that I’ve seen everyone chatting about and discussing. Video/camera housings, lights, etc.. I soaked up a great deal of information on trips, the different styles of trips for divers, locations, accommodations, etc. I think we put Frank and Lynn from Sunset Waters/Divers through their paces picking their brains for every bit of information about their resort and diving.

I had the opportunity to meet in person many wonderful people in addition to Pete, such as ScubaJenny, Walter’s Friend Tess whom we ran over (walter’s version of a nice leisurely walk *smile*) to cheer her through the finish line of her marathon…Dan, Curt, Jakub, and many other’s whom Marvel introduced me to and I apologize I’m horrible with names! But I can remember your faces.

I really had a great weekend and found it to be a lot of fun and am looking forward to finally getting certified and getting out there diving with everyone and until the next dive or diving expo!

*smile*

ps. Walter it was my pleasure and I'm glad to hear she'll be ok ....

Back
Top Bottom