Almost Stranded

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am glad that it turned out OK. I had something similar happen to me in Fiji.

Any lessons learned from your prospective?

I've thought about that question and, to tell the truth, I don't think I learned anything valuable except, possibly, that I can get in a tight situation without panicking. I admit, however, that I was very, very uneasy.

I've thought about that question and, to tell the truth, I don't think I learned anything valuable except, possibly, that I can get in a tight situation without panicking. I admit, however, that I was very, very uneasy.

What I learned from your story is to not get out of the dinghy before others are ready to do so, and to not descend on my own at near-dark when no others are in the water.

Maybe I misread your original post.

I am glad it worked out.

I don't understand why you were the only one that got in the water. Were you diving solo or with a buddy? Was there a DM in charge of the dive? Was there a dive briefing?

To be clear I am not being critical, but would like to hear more about what went on before you got in the water. It seems that is where things went wrong.

Well, even if the OP had had a buddy and had gone into the water with him, all that would have meant in the end was two people on the surface, trying to signal the boat, right?

I'm not sure I would have waited 20 minutes at depth, though, although if you could see the dinghy, you at least knew they hadn't returned to the boat for some reason.

Off any boat, I dive with at least two lights, a DiveAlert, and an SMB, and my buddy has the same. I gave up the mirror after reading an article on what was visible and for how far, and it is my understanding that, unless the place where you are diving has the technology to track EPIRBs, they aren't useful -- so I haven't spent the money to own one yet.

I am glad it worked out.

I don't understand why you were the only one that got in the water. Were you diving solo or with a buddy? Was there a DM in charge of the dive? Was there a dive briefing?

To be clear I am not being critical, but would like to hear more about what went on before you got in the water. It seems that is where things went wrong.

I had the same thoughts. I'm looking forward to a response.

Getting close to 60, I am no longer the "youngster" and want to make sure all is taken care of before I get in. If in doubt - I will always call the dive. I even called a night dive about 6 years ago in the warm clear Red Sea waters because they were changing me to an unknown (to me) guide. They appreciated my concerns and the DM/guide I had been with all day decided to go along and we had a beautiful night dive. She is still my friend to this day and we dive as buddies when I return.

Well, even if the OP had had a buddy and had gone into the water with him, all that would have meant in the end was two people on the surface, trying to signal the boat, right?

I'm not sure I would have waited 20 minutes at depth, though, although if you could see the dinghy, you at least knew they hadn't returned to the boat for some reason.

Off any boat, I dive with at least two lights, a DiveAlert, and an SMB, and my buddy has the same. I gave up the mirror after reading an article on what was visible and for how far, and it is my understanding that, unless the place where you are diving has the technology to track EPIRBs, they aren't useful -- so I haven't spent the money to own one yet.

I agree with you, a buddy would have meant 2 divers in the water. Whether that would have been good, bad or neutral can be debated - having two lights, two signals, a buddy for support, etc. - but I also asked about a dive briefing, who was in charge of the dive and for more details about what went on before he got in the water.

The best solution to a problem is to prevent it from happening in the first place. I am curious as to whether this could have been prevented.

IF the OP had had a buddy that would have meant 2 people in the water. OR ZERO people in the water. Who gets off a dinghy on their own, in strong current, near dark?

Another reason to carry a "rock hook" when diving in extreme currents along with a smb,air alert horn,torch,whisle,mirror,and most of all your equally equipped dive buddy.Exiting the the boat should always be done in pairs and the dive brief should always specify what to do when separated from the group. I agree that this situation could and should have been prevented.

A memo regarding signal mirrors. I read a post by a rescue helicopter pilot that rated the mirror as the single best signal device to have on hand. It is the easiest to spot from distance assuming a clear sky. Don't know where you heard disparging remarks about the mirror but for my money I'm betting on a pilot with several rescues to his credit. I ALWAYS have 2 lights, mirror smb, airhorn and whistle. The fresh water sounds paranoid to me :wink: LOL , like I have room to talk.

I am glad it worked out.

That's another good question. The dinghy was only about 8 feet long, and it was crowded and uncomfortable. I was eager to get into the water, and I didn't expect a current as strong as that. We had a dive guide, but we were in a new area, and I don't think he knew any more than I did about that location. Anyway, on looking back I'm glad I was alone because I only had to worry about myself. For all I know, another diver might have panicked, and the panic might have been contagious.

If I had it to do over again, the only thing I would do differently is hang onto that piece of dead coral until my arms dropped off =).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom