ALOHA! Coming to Hawaii next week!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

get_tanked

Reaction score
Hey, everybody! My wife and will be arriving in Maui next Friday for the start of our 2-week vacation!!! :jump013: Right now, we're planning a two-tank dive at Lanai with Maui Dive Shop, and another two-tank dive with Dive Makai on the Big Island, somewhere on the Kona coast. We may plan more dives later, but my wife hates to have too much of our vacation pre-planned, so I take what I can get. :crafty:

I was wondering if anyone could give me an idea of the dive conditions to expect, i.e. viz and temperature. Also, does that night manta ray dive on the big island live up to the hype?

Mahalo!

Bill

We've done the manta ray dive 3 times in 3 years. The first two times there were ~4 mantas present and it was fantastic. The third time one manta swooped by once and that was it for the night. So it's not a sure thing, but if they're there you will be very impressed!

get_tanked:
I was wondering if anyone could give me an idea of the dive conditions to expect, i.e. viz and temperature.
I did MDS's Lanai trip last month. Conditions weren't perfect, due to some weather systems that were passing through, but viz was still around 100 feet. As for temperature, in a week of diving, my computer never moved off of 80 degrees. I was starting to think it was broken.

I also did a night dive at Lanai with MDS. Molokini was in the middle of a storm, so we went to first Cathedral instead. It was a very cool dive, sort of spooky in the dim lighting.

Scot M:
I did MDS's Lanai trip last month. ... As for temperature, in a week of diving, my computer never moved off of 80 degrees. .
Your computer reads a bit higher than mine. The temps per the link in my previous post seem to match up pretty well with my computer's thermometer.

A few temps from the last month ....

2DEC, 3DEC 79F
8 DEC 78F
11DEC 78F @ Molokini, 76F at St Anthony's
13DEC to 1Jan ---- pretty consistent 77F both at shore and Molokini,

5JAN (Wednesday) 75-76F at Molokini backwall
76-77F today at Ulua.

-------------------

Last year the water was pretty much 77F all Jan/Feb/Mar; not warming up to 78F until May.

get_tanked:
Also, does that night manta ray dive on the big island live up to the hype?

Mahalo!

Bill

YES

Charlie99:
Your computer reads a bit higher than mine.
LOL, I want to live somewhere where we can debate whether the water is 78 or 80 degrees! At last report, it was around 56 degrees here.

Scot M:
LOL, I want to live somewhere where we can debate whether the water is 78 or 80 degrees! At last report, it was around 56 degrees here.
No debate intended, nor criticism implied.

While sitting around on a boat during the SI sometime, ask the other divers what temp their computers logged for the previous dive. The variation in the temps logged will probably amaze you.

Thanks for all of the information - It's so hard to sit here at work for 3 more days and concentrate when I think about mantas, whales, and 80 degree water... Maybe I should call in sick :D

Lots of whales out there right now, seeing then constantly. Enjoy your vacation. Anbd BTW, yes, call in sick and leave early!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom