Aloha Nor Cal divers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DMJulie

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Ok, so I may be moving to Lemoore and since I am currently living on Kauai and diving in warm water, I am a little not so excited about diving in nor cal. (brrrrrr)

What are going to be my options for diving?
What is the temp?
Drive time?
Shore/Boat? Ocean/Lake?
Who do you dive with/dive shops?

Any info on diving would be helpful.

Happy Diving,

Ok, so I may be moving to Lemoore and since I am currently living on Kauai and diving in warm water, I am a little not so excited about diving in nor cal. (brrrrrr)

What are going to be my options for diving?
What is the temp?
Drive time?
Shore/Boat? Ocean/Lake?
Who do you dive with/dive shops?

Any info on diving would be helpful.

Happy Diving,

Options are pretty much Monterey/Carmel or any of the Southern California beaches or boats (from Santa Barbara/Ventura on down to San Diego). Most of the SoCal boats go to the Channel Islands. There are also some fresh water lakes, along with Lake Tahoe.

Water temps are generally high 40's to low 50's around Monterey/Carmel and 5-10 degrees warmer in SoCal.

You're looking at a 2+ hour drive to get to Monterey and 3-5 hours for the SoCal spots and boats.

Yes/Yes, Yes/Yes.

It's a big state with lots of dive shops and buddies. :D

Aloha!
Welcome to MoCal if that is where you are going to live.

This excellent blog will give you an idea of what the diving here has to hold for you.
Cold Water Kitty

Another website of photos to enjoy.
Cold Water Images, Photography by Kawika Chetron

FWIW the water may be cold but that does not mean you have to be. Drysuits are the norm and you will be toasty warm in one.

As a sometimes Kauai diver living in NoCal I can assure you that there is, in general, more life and more complex marine ecologies near the Monterey submarine canyon and in certain places on the Channel Islands than you are used to in Kauai waters. Of course, there are great differences, and each locale has its unique attractions. But if you come up here and dive Monterey/Carmel you will not be disappointed.

As Peter says, the cold water isn't a problem. You just have to have the right exposure protection.

Curious where you are living in Kauai? My gal used to live in Kapaa.

poor Julie...already *dreaming* of cold water diving! :)

Julie! You can't leave until you get your instructor certification, you know that, right???

That way, you can take me diving with your local dive shop when I come visit you!

Regarding the cold...I've recently been using thinner undergarments because I have been getting too hot in my dry suit while diving in Monterey. You can be warm in any water and you can be cold in any water...just gotta have the right type and amount of thermal protection for you.

Wow, thanks for all the info.
So far no set in stone plans for the move, but next visit to the mainland I will check out one or two of your suggestions.

Peter C -I live out at PMRF Navy Base (west side)

aascubagirl- You can come diving with me any time :wink:

Since I never really answered your question regarding types of diving.

Monterey has tons of shore diving that is fairly easy. Point Lobos you walk less than 70 feet and enter the water on a boat ramp. Most of the shore diving is done off of beaches and generally there are calf sized waves.

Of course there are some excellent boats to take you out into the bay or ocean for spectacular diving and easier entry and exits.

SoCal has brutal hikes for shore diving, although well worth it. The locals use carts to haul their gear. Boat diving is the way to go in SoCal and of course you can stay on Catalina Island for a weekend getaway.

Lemoore is also fairly close to the Kings Canyon area, which is a pristine wilderness. We have backpacked a decent amount of the area.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom