Alpena

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CMAN

Contributor
Rest in Peace
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Got back yesterday evening (too tired to post) from Alpena. We (my son and a co-worker) got three dives in. First dive was the E.B. Allen, 101 FFW for 37 min. This wreck sits up-right with the hull pretty much intact. The decking in most areas has collapsed. The highlight of this wreck (for me) was how thick the "wall" over the keel was, it was impressive. Very little thermocline (59 surface- 54 bottom). Dive #2 was on the Grecian, 96 FFW for 36 min. This wreck was "AWSOME" with three or four decks that are easily swam through (for the most part). We started at the stern and swam along the port side to the bow. We then swam along the starboard side back to the stern. I could have easily just stayed at the stern because that is where the best part is. Dive # 3 was on the Barge #1, 45 FFW for 46 min. There isn't much to see here except the thousands of gobies! We did find one burbot that was dying laying on the bottom. I thought it had a hook in it's mouth but when I looked closer it appeared to be on of its barbles. It tried to swim away but I don't think it was going to live much longer. We planned the dive to last an hour but my drysuit neck seal leaked so we cut the dive short.

I towed my boat (26 ft. Starcraft Islander) so we could dive at our own pace.

Thanks for the post! Where is Alpena?

Where is Alpena? We are located 100 miles South from Mackinaw on US 23, and maybe 250 miles North of Detroit. Our diving depths range from 6 feet to 200 feet, We have Wrecks for kayakers, snorkelers, recreational diving, and technical diving. bring your friends, relatives.

Here's a link to NOAA's interactive map of our shipwrecks.
Thunder Bay National Marine Sanctuary Maritime Heritage

We have 4 different charters running out of Alpena / Presque Isle
http://www.alpenadiver.com/charters.htm

We stayed at the 40 Winks motel. She has a place that you can safely store your gear to dry (hangers with fans that move the air) and she gives divers a discount (our room with two beds and a small frigerator for two nights was $108 total). They are only minutes down the road from the boat launch.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom