Alpha 7 reg. pressure adj help/ Slimline octo

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ssflounder

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Gang,
I recently changed out to a long hose. While doing so the fitting adapter that screws into my Alpha 7 came off with the old hose. I removed the adaptor off the old hose and screwed it into the reg. added long hose. When I hooked it to the tank the reg. was free flowing. I took fitting back off and noticed a little insert screw (Looks like a jet screw from a carb.) This backed off a bit while getting fitting off old hose. I played around with it and stopped the free flow and must have adjusted too far. Having neg. pressure. Is there a setting? Can someone give me some instructions how to adjust? It didn't breathe very well at 50 last weekend.

On my slimline octo the green plastic cover is broken but still works. It was freeflowing a lot on my first dive with bungie around neck. It is not adjustable so I'm looking for a adjustable second to use as my backup.

Also, had some valve problems with my tanks as well. Older J valve model. Needle was flipping from 2600 to 700psi. I thumbed up. I think whatever contols the reserve is broken. Might look into replacing tank valves or not use the reserve function.

You really need to have that stuff looked at unless you are a trained tech. Do you have an IP guage or the adjustment tool for Oceanic regs. I'd get rid of the valve or at the least have it serviced. Someone may give you advice on how to adjust it but not me. I would not want to be a party to any accident that may result.

PM sent. Be careful.

Definitely agree with Jim on the advice about the regulators. In unscrewing the 2nd stage you more than likely cut into the low pressure seat which more than likely needs to be replaced. Take it to your local authorized Oceanic dealer for service. If there is no one close by then give Oceanic Service a call to have it sent to them or even one of the many authorized dealers listed on their website. It is definitely out of what and needs to be checked by those versed in Oceanic equipment. If your Octo was free flowing they can also look at that and adjust it. It can be tuned to reduce free flow also.
The free flow of the octo could also be a matter of how it was hanging while in the bungee. If it managed to get into an upside down position (with the purge button facing the deep dark depths) then any pressure placed on the purge valve could start a free flow.
Have the cover replaced, considering that this is life support equipment you need to take care of the equipment that is supporting your life.

As far as the J valves on the cylinders. Definitely have them serviced or replace them. K valves are more the norm these days rather than the exception. Make sure that the dive store knows what type cylinders you have (aluminum which will have a 3AL marking stamped in the cylinder near the neck or a Steel cylinder which will have a 3AA stamp They will also need to know the working pressure of the cylinder to ensure that it has the appropriate over expansion disk (these pressures are also stamped on the cylinder.) common pressure stamps will be 3000, 3300, 2250, 24000, 3500 (din).
Older pressure stamps may be 2075 or 1800 (I would refrain from using the older ones and consider sending them to a scuba museum LOL)

Back
Top Bottom