Alpha Flag

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

No, we don't have that flag onboard. However I have seen Navy divers use it from a small boat when doing a training dive where local boaters were more likely to recognize that flag. They were still flying the Alfa flag though.

Depending where you are diving, either flag can be construed as a water-skier slalom marker, fishing casting target, speed boat turn marker - and I probably missed some others. Don't underestimate the stupidity and / or ignorance of boaters and rely entirely on your flag for safety.

Depending where you are diving, either flag can be construed as a water-skier slalom marker, fishing casting target, speed boat turn marker - and I probably missed some others. Don't underestimate the stupidity and / or ignorance of boaters and rely entirely on your flag for safety.

Seriously. I've had boaters drive up to the flag while I was under because they were curious about what the flag was marking and then stayed to watch the bubbles.

I was surprised after 50 years of serious recreational diving there is no internationally recognised DIVER DOWN flag. Alpha Flag here in Australia gets used on buoys and boats, but most PWC's ( jet ski etc) ignore them.

I am still surprised at SMB's not being internationally recognised either.

I have had a jet-ski use my SMB as a racing marker while I was decompressing.

A few friends had the Police and Ambulance called when a person walking their dog called an emergency after seeing a SMB off a shore dive. Funny but not apparently for the police and ambulance.

I read here and other posts that its a LOCAL requirement or not, and regulations cover BOATS not divers.

While I am an old time spearo and diver - isn't it about time ( like 50+ years ) to get not only a DIVER DOWN flag recognised but the SMB as well internationally ?

We had the old red and white flag in the USA, but it seems negligent in this day and age not to have an International marker that says there are divers in the bloody water.

Anyone explain why we don't ?

Actually the meaning for the Alfa flag was spelled out in the International Code of Signals (pub102) way before it was incorporated into the COLREGS. The code states that a signal may be made by any station which is defined as "a ship, aircraft, survival craft, or any place at which communications can be effected by any means. " Alfa definitely does have a meaning when flown from a station other than a boat. It is common to see it flown on a pier at Naval bases if divers are working from the pier.

Dr Dive sez: I have both on my shore diving float kit. I dive in an area frequented by international vessels accompanied by commercial tugs. We are out of channel, but they need to be advised of near area dive activities. As several other posters have suggested, better safe than sorry. Naturally, I fly both aboard Dr Dive when we are on-site with divers deployed.

[h=2]In Oklahoma the law say's that you may use either one of the flags, here is an excerpt from their law:

Diver-Down Flags[/h]
  • Scuba divers or snorkelers must display a diver-down flag that marks their diving area. If the flag is flown from a vessel, at least one flag must be flown that is at least 3.3 feet (one meter) above the highest point of the vessel and visible from all directions.
  • Vessels must remain at least 150 feet away from the flag unless the vessel is engaged in the rescue of a person in that area.
  • A diver-down flag may not be closer than 100 yards to any functional boat ramp.
[h=3]Illustrations[/h][h=3]Types of Flags[/h]
Divers Flag: A rectangular red flag, sized at least 20 x 24 inches, with a four-inch white diagonal stripe
Alfa Flag: A blue and white International Code Flag A (or Alfa flag) used on state, federally controlled, or international waters

This reminds me of a situation that occurred when the commanding general for the Little Rock AR. District of U.S. Army Corps of Engineers put out an order stating that divers must the International Code Flag when diving in any of the lakes in his district.
At first there was a lot of confusion. Divers were confused, Corps of Engineers people were confused, boaters were really confused, (Most of the boater on these freshwater lakes don’t have a clue what a dive flag is, and never heard of an International Code Flag.) and state and local officials were a mix of confused and angry.
After about a year of confusion the order was rescinded.

No we don't. We use the Alpha Flag.

So I am wondering since others have stated that not displaying the red/white flag is a violation of the law in some places if the navy is exempt or if in fact the red/white flag has no legal standing?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom