Altera vs EVO3 Boots

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

berick

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Can anyone (perhaps DiveJedi) provide me of the pros and cons of the 2 different type of drysuit boots? I'm considering a Fusion package and was looking for some input on boots from someone who has tried both. Does the altera hook work well?

Thanks

berick

I don't have personal experience with the Alteras, but I do know a handful of people who have them. I have evo3s myself.

My experience with the evo3s is that it can be a bit of a pain to lace them up each time, but the ankle support I get from them is great for the rocky and log ridden entries we have around here. I did have a problem with the soles coming off (close to 300 dives though) as they're only glued on. A big improvement would be to stitch the soles on as well, then the evo3s would be solid. I've found that grommets come off quite quickly as well, but it doesn't really matter. Over all I'd say that Evo3s are the better choice, even though can they be a bit of a pain to lace up and to get out of if you don't loosen the laces enough.

Now I haven't used the Altreas, so take this as you will. They don't look like they provide the same support as the evo3s, but they do look much easier to get on and off. Same problem with the soles from what I've seen . The first comment I hear from people who get the altreas is usually "these things are great!" followed by "damn, i should have got the evo3s" a few weeks later. Apparently the hook doesn't always stay.

If you're doing a lot of shore entries covered in ankle breaking rocks and the likes then I say go with the evo3's. If you're walking in off a nice sandy beach or jumping in off a boat quite frequently you may be happier with the convenience of not having laces, but either one will suit you in that case.

Hope that helps. Good luck with the fusion, i'm considering getting one myself.

Great post Starfish. That bout covers it......the Altera has been the popular choice of most of our divers as to the ease of putting it on. We havent had too many issues with the hooks coming off that I know of and generally people really like them. If you want, you can give me a call at the store tomorrow and I can get you some better pics or explain them better....815-267-8400....Hope that helps....To be honest, I think you will be extremely happy with either boot unless your doing a side by side comparision...in which case the Altera is easier to put on

I have the Altera boots and my son has the EVO3 boots. To be honest the only difference I have been able to tell is the difference between the laces on the EVO3 and bungee and hook on the Altera. We've both had them for two years now. He's replaced the laces and I am still on the same bungees. My boots came with spare hooks but haven't needed to replace them. One thing for sure, you will never have the laces come undone with the Altera boot!

Although the EVO3 goes over the ankle, it really is just like a pair of high-top Converse sneakers - not much real ankle support (i.e. as compared to a pair of stiff leather boots).

One location we frequently dive is off the causeway at Lake Minnewanka in Banff National Park in Alberta. If I had a picture to post, you'd see that a good pair of boots is needed to hoof yourself up and down the serious "rip-rap". You certainly need boots with a sturdy sole - both boots have that.

Neither of us has had a problem that could be related to the style of one or the other boot.

I would say these posts pretty much cover it all!! Some like easy maintenance - so they choose the Alteras - they all come with the extra hooks. The Evo III is the same boot we supply to the military - they love the ankle support. I have some dealers that swear by the Alteras, and some that swear by the Evo's.

We sell about 3 or 4 Evo's to each Altera....I personally have dove Lake Minnawanka - as mentioned, as well as a lot of shore diving here in BC, I prefer the Evo's.

Hope that helps!

Until the next dive,
Tyler

Thanks for the excellent responses.

Can anyone (perhaps DiveJedi) provide me of the pros and cons of the 2 different type of drysuit boots? I'm considering a Fusion package and was looking for some input on boots from someone who has tried both. Does the altera hook work well?

Thanks

berick

I have owned both and honestly will say go with the Evo's well before hitting the Altera's... I am a proud owner of SEVERAL White's products and can honestly say I was the most disapointed with the boots. I own a Cataylist and a Fusion. I must say I love my Fusion and when I upgraded I got rid of Altera's after only 100 or so dives... They were nothing but a nightmare from dive 2 on wards...

While we are talking boots, what is the proper size to order? I have a very wide foot (10EEEE) and was wondering a) what size to order & b) does the manufacturer factor in that you might be wearing various thicknesses of socks/insulation?

Do I get a size 12 for my foot width or a 13-14 to compensate for the additional socks?

And once you get a boot that big, what size fins do you need? XXXL?

Those are some wide feet...better to fin with!!

With regular socks they would be too big for your feet to start with so generally we recommend going at least one size bigger, and in some cases even 2.

Cheers,
Tyler

While we are talking boots, what is the proper size to order? I have a very wide foot (10EEEE) and was wondering a) what size to order & b) does the manufacturer factor in that you might be wearing various thicknesses of socks/insulation?

Do I get a size 12 for my foot width or a 13-14 to compensate for the additional socks?

And once you get a boot that big, what size fins do you need? XXXL?

so they choose the Alteras - they all come with the extra hooks.
Until the next dive,
Tyler

I just got a set of Altera boots and they do not have any extra hooks. Should they all have them?

Phil

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom