alternative air source for newbies....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TheRedHead:
<snjip>
At first I thought my instructor did it to make my life interesting. I didn't realize it was the DM until after the dive, during the debrief with the instructor.

Yeah, I have heard of that happening before, I think on this board infact. DM's or instructors "teaching" by touching. Flight instructors do that too, but thats ok, they are IN the plane with me and will save us both, so thats differant.

tell you what, you want a good sound butt kicking? touch my gear and "make my life insteresting" and I will beat the snot out of you with my 18" ash boat beater and make you swim home.

you dont like my config? thats cool, lets talk, but hands off.

TheRedHead:
Yes, that's what I'm saying. It was cranked back open a half a turn. The regulator breathed normally until about 60 feet. I am uncertain if this result could be duplicated with a lower performing regulator. The ATX200 is awesome.

At first I thought my instructor did it to make my life interesting. I didn't realize it was the DM until after the dive, during the debrief with the instructor.

had a similar experience when my tank valve was apparently rolled half-shut somehow. reg breathed fine at the surface and indeed not particularly badly at 20m max depth for the dive but my analogue gauge started bouncing like crazy - I realised what had happened and fully opened the valve and all was fine but I would imagine it could freak out an AI computer doing remaining air calcs. Not that this case is all that common, likely or a particular cause for concern but interesting nonetheless.

kirwoodd:
Yeah, I have heard of that happening before, I think on this board infact. DM's or instructors "teaching" by touching. Flight instructors do that too, but thats ok, they are IN the plane with me and will save us both, so thats differant.

The DM didn't do it on purpose, and we wasn't really a DM, but a mate with Rescue training. I understand that he was very upset about the incident. I was diving with independent regulators on a single HP 120 with an H-valve. This may have confused him. My left post was fully open so I was never really out of air and/or in any danger. This was not a recreational course and I don't think it is common for instructors to turn off your air in recreational diving courses. I just made the comment to point out one weakness I see with AI compters.

I guess....
:shakehead
but the dood should NOT have touched your valve. :eyebrow:
(there's a joke in there somewhere)

what POSSIBLE reason could he have for doing that?

I guess "hey, I thougth your valve was closed, so I was trying to help"
but thats pretty weak. I'd still beat him. :D

anyway, dont want to hijack the thread (any more than I already have).

Icarusflies:
That is the one I use

One thing I've noticed about the "remaining air time" in AI computer is that they are generally very conservative and they don't count the reserve specified (such as 500 psi). So it is NOT really remaining air time, but estimated time before you reach 500 psi, not before you run out of air. The computer does not know your dive plan, so if you are at 60 feet and plan to move to 30 feet for the remainder of your dive, the computer can't take that into account.

kirwoodd:
I guess....
:shakehead
but the dood should NOT have touched your valve. :eyebrow:
(there's a joke in there somewhere)

what POSSIBLE reason could he have for doing that?

I guess "hey, I thougth your valve was closed, so I was trying to help"
but thats pretty weak. I'd still beat him. :D

anyway, dont want to hijack the thread (any more than I already have).
It should be taught in DM courses: "this is a picture of a tech diver. Don't touch his/her gear without asking or without him/her asking you to."

Anyone who's not diving a standard K-valve is probably at a level of diving where they are taking responsibility for their own gas supply, and doing the checks themselves (or their team mates are doing them). They will decide whether they want their valves open all the way, quarter turn back, etc. and which valves they want open and which they want closed.

This is a touchy subject for me: I had a buddy diving an H-valve get one of his valves shut off by accident by a mate on a boat. I had another mate on another boat who kept turning my valves off a quarter turn, confusing me to no end (as a cave diver my first thought is "roll off!" then after a few times I start to get the idea). Anyway, that's a subject for a whine and cheese thread, not this one (which has been hijacked in enough directions already: Spare Air -> get more training/experience -> AI computers -> wireless computers -> DMs and valves).

divestoclimb:
It should be taught in DM courses: "this is a picture of a tech diver. Don't touch his/her gear without asking or without him/her asking you to."
It is taught in the Padi DM course.

wow, I am going to be paranoid in my next dive with anyone even looking at my valve....anyway why do they teach us in OW class to fully open and then half turn the valve...why not keep the valve fully open???

Icarusflies:
wow, I am going to be paranoid in my next dive with anyone even looking at my valve....anyway why do they teach us in OW class to fully open and then half turn the valve...why not keep the valve fully open???

You should keep the valve fully open. It's a holdover from the old J valves that no one uses any longer. The J valve could become stuck if not turned a half turn back. Modern valves do not suffer that problem. There is no reason to do this. Always turn on your own air.

Back
Top Bottom