Recommendations for pony bottle/regulator set up for solo diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

so thank you all for you answer. i am using a 80 cf back mount. ( i do use my reg and octo on this one, but thinking of removing the octo). the pony bottle provide by the dive shop is a 30 CF with reg and spg i put it on the side

My last dive was on october 26th. I am seeing the option to buy my own pony bottle next spring.

I do like hot topic like this one... i don't really see the use of my octo on my main tank having the pony this is why i mention i am thinking to remove it. In worst case scenario i use the pony and make it to the surface.

Oh by the way i ve done so far 10 solo dive everything is great and limit my self to 20 feet in a scuba park. No tech, deep, wreck or overhead dive. I put a total of about 20 dive total this year but the rest where with a DM. Just recently like in august i start to dive solo, wow totally change my perpective of diving. In total i have 200 dive holding my rescue course and nitrox.

check it out, where is it

View attachment 810325

there it is, oops I forgot
Looks like a classic old-school PONY config: 15 litre main + 3 litre PONY.

Questions:
  1. Can the diver see the PONY pressure gauge whilst diving?
  2. Have they worked out how much gas is required when deep (down to 40m/132ft) to be able to safely ascend with a safety stop? It's surprisingly little gas you have in a 3 litre cylinder
  3. Do they practice breathing from the PONY on pretty much every dive?
  4. What gas would be in the PONY? 28%? (would match MOD of 40m/132ft)

This all depends on your entire rig setup.
1) pony on a necklace - this would mean you only have 1 2nd stage on your reg and the pony is your backup. This works great if you only solo. Your pony bottle is likely back mounted with this option.
2) snug to bottle - you have a normal rig with 2 2nds. 1 primary, 1 backup likely on a necklace. You only pull your pony reg off the bottle when needed or training
i slung the pony a 30 cf for now.

Looks like a classic old-school PONY config: 15 litre main + 3 litre PONY.

Questions:
  1. Can the diver see the PONY pressure gauge whilst diving?
  2. Have they worked out how much gas is required when deep (down to 40m/132ft) to be able to safely ascend with a safety stop? It's surprisingly little gas you have in a 3 litre cylinder
  3. Do they practice breathing from the PONY on pretty much every dive?
  4. What gas would be in the PONY? 28%? (would match MOD of 40m/132ft)
I think everyone probably has their own way of deciding on the size of their pony and spg. I calculated my normal dive profile with a safety stop to decide on my pony.

I can not see my gauge, I check it when I turn it on, test it, and then use the pony at the safety stop so I know the reg is working well. I refill it from a full tank so usually it is 32% which is what I usually use, if there was a deeper dive I would drain it and fill with the correct mix. I honestly don’t worry about it as the pony is my OOA bailout so I am heading to the surface.

Yes I'm not too concerned about it either and I do use it as a deco bottle
But no decanting, I mix the mix that I mix for both rec diving and deeper
And the magnificent thing about a steel bottle is with a few extra pumps
You can put heaps more!

And I'm there to dive not to practice

I'm wondering what I should look for in a pony bottle and regulator and if there are certain ones that are recommended.
Regulator: Just about any regulator will do, including used ones. Ideally, some-brand you can have serviced wherever you usually service regulators. The only real requirement is that it works when you need it, but beyond that you don't need a fancy regulator. Keep in mind an "octo" usually is just 2nd stage regulator, that is slightly cheaper than primary 2nd stage reg.

If there are "requirements" for your main regulator for the type of diving you do, such as cold-water diving, those would also apply to the pony.

Whatever regulator you get, I would ditch any unnecessary hoses, and install port-plugs. That means no octo. No inflator hose, unless you use it as a dry-suit bottle. If slung in the front, use either a "button SPG" (no hose) or an SPG on a short 9-inch hose tied so the SPG-face is outwards.

There are also first-stage regulators designed to replace the valve, which are slightly more compact, but I'd probably just stick to "normal" first-stages myself (and DIN if possible).

Pony:

A "pony" is just a scuba-tank, little different from any other scuba-tank, so branding, etc mostly doesn't matter. The main question is size. Most everything below assumes average or better air-consumption, and a diver not prone to panic.
  • 1.7cu and 3cu (spare air) - These are dangerously small, and no pony is better IMO. I did test dives with these at 20ft, and they were out of air in no time. They're dangerous IMO, because they give a false sense of security. Without the spare-air, one might at least be encouraged to stick to CESA depths. The spare-air regulators are also very difficult to breathe.
  • 6cu - Better than nothing. My testing of a 6cu was about 100psi per normal breath at 8ft deep. I one for travel (because I don't own a 13cu), but also am very mindful of limits, either staying with groups or a buddy, limiting depth (30-60ft) , and avoiding any potential hazards (overheads, entanglements). In an emergency, it's (probably) enough to save your life, but don't delay heading to the surface, and probably skip safety stop.
  • 13cu - A good travel-size. Twice the air of the 6cu, but still lightweight and small. You can be a little more confident at depth or while solo-diving, but at around 90ft, you might similarly be finding you need to not delay, stay clam, and skip safety stop. At 120ft, it would be technically enough to save my life (assuming no panic, entanglements, etc), but bottle might be empty by the time I reached the surface. Keep in mind though something like your primary reg failing might cause some degree of panic, and faster breathing.
  • 19cu - The 19cu is my "daily driver." It's 50% bigger than the 13cu. Based on my calculations and testing for myself, I could surface from 120ft, with a safety stop, and have plenty of air remaining. Compared to the 13cu, the 19cu gives me an extra degree of confidence that there's never a reason to panic.
  • 30cu and 40cu - Get an extra 50% or double the 19cu! 40cu is also a good size for technical diving. If you're a heavy breather or often dive in the 90 to 120ft range, I'd get a 30 or 40cu. The downside is primarily on the surface, due to the extra size and weight inconvenience. It's a bigger and heavier tanks to lug around, to/from dive sites, up ladders, and similar.
Every diver I've met in person, who has a "30 or 40cu pony bottle" always leaves it at home and "doesn't need it this dive." If you carry one, that's awesome, however to borrow a saying from the concealed carry community, "The 13cu you have on you, is more useful than the 40cu you left at home."

That said, a 30 or 40cu tank is quite practical. I often dive sidemount afterall, which is basically diving with two full sized AL80s (or bigger) which is double the size and weight. I'm just encouraging you to be honest with yourself about whether a bulkier size might encourage you personally to be lazy and leave your pony tank behind.

Lastly, for me, because I dive sidemount, it's silly for me to not use 2x 80cu tanks (or bigger) past 90ft, even if the 19cu is technically enough for an emergency. Since I have 2 full-sized tanks, I can also increase bottom time.

edit: You can also real-world test about how much air you'll need. Dive to the maximum depth you expect to take your pony bottle, lets say 90ft. Swim around enough so you're using air, check your PSI, and then surface normally, including safety stop. Write down the start and end PSI. From there you can calculate how much volume you actually used. Then add some % of air, depending on how prepared you want to be for panic, entanglements, etc.

Does anyone could give me an advice ? Does anyone will get the reg from the pony and put it on a necklace around the neck or you leave it snug in the pony (under arm). For you information this is for solo diving not with a buddy.
I'll share how I dive. However, this isn't advice, or a one-size-fits-all suggestion.

I dive SideMount, but sometimes swap the right-tank for a pony bottle. My setup does not change at all, regardless of which tanks I use, or whether I have a buddy or not.

My primary is always on a necklace, 100% of the time. It's a DIY bungie necklace, that can be tightened by pulling on the cord. It can break-away, but I've used stronger zip-ties that make it difficult.

My secondary, or pony, has a long-hose, that is bright-neon-green (using cable-protector material and zip-ties), and the regulator is either clipped to the tank or to my chest d-ring, using a "breakaway" clip, where a strong enough tug would free the regulator without needing to unclip anything. The pony tank is always on. I can also breathe from that regulator without unclipping or breakaway, but my head would be pointed towards the side.

I take several breaths from my pony/secondary on every dive. Both before jumping in the water, and at least once during every dive. Maintaining that practice, switching regulators, and ensuring you always know where both regulators are at all times is important.

When with a buddy, I always tell them that during an out-of-air, to grab the regulator on the bright-green-neon-hose. Don't ask, don't signal, just grab it. And don't grab my primary (which is on a necklace).

I do like hot topic like this one... i don't really see the use of my octo on my main tank having the pony this is why i mention i am thinking to remove it. In worst case scenario i use the pony and make it to the surface.
Sidemount divers don't use octos, and that's practically an "industry standard." Your other tank and regulator is the "octo." IMO, same concept applies to pony-bottles most of the time.

The only thing an octo would do, is be an entanglement hazard and potential source of confusion. For example, lets say you ran out of air. You switch from your primary to what you think is your pony, but it's actually your octo, and you're still out of air. At this point, there's a risk of panic. Sure, you still have a pony bottle, but in an emergency might not realize you're using the wrong regulator. Scenarios similar to that have popped up in the "Accidents and Incidents" section a few times.

When traveling, nothing beats sidemount because you can use tanks you find onsite. This why I started diving sidemount and now I am using it for basically all my diving, OC with buddy or solo and CC.
add in how well the BCD packs down and flexibility in terms of number/size of tanks. Sidemount is a great system to travel with.

The other thing I like about a pony is that if I am buddy diving and my buddy needs air, I can just unclip the whole bottle and give it to them. We don't need to be physically tethered to one another during the ascent.

Back
Top Bottom