alternative DrySuit undies

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

robway034

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Are there any people out there who use something other than the manufacturers undies under their drysuit? Anyone ever try a lycra suit or a very light (.5/1.5) wetsuit? I know all the inherit drawbacks to using neo, I am just curious as to know what some of your may or may not be doing. Especially as a warm weather alternative. You quarrry divers know what I am talking about, I'm sure...

Regards,

Well, I've used a Flecton 200 for quite a while, and it was a big improvement from the stock DUI Thinsulate, lots more flexible.

Although I'm extremely happy with the stock Whites undies (they have the best flexibility I've worn yet), I am considering trying out the 4th Element stuff. Very thin for the warmth, or so I've been told.

I guess I'm saying is that the undies choice is yours to make, depending on your preferences. There's nothing magic about using only undies made by the suit's manufacturer.

All the best, James

Carols! Hands down the best base layer I've ever dived.

In the summer in SoCal this is all I wear under my DS. In winter I use them as a base layer.

https://www.cdsportswear.com/wf_style2.htm

---
Ken

Anyone ever try a lycra suit or a very light (.5/1.5) wetsuit? I know all the inherit drawbacks to using neo

Really? What are they?

Really? What are they?

It doesn't wick moisture. It's uncomfartable and restricts movement. It has to be pretty thick to provide very much insulation.

This is all I can come up with, but with better fabrics out there, this short list seems like enough to keep me from wearing neopreene undies.

It doesn't wick moisture. It's uncomfartable and restricts movement. It has to be pretty thick to provide very much insulation.

This is all I can come up with, but with better fabrics out there, this short list seems like enough to keep me from wearing neopreene undies.

Actually, I was looking for more.

The fact that if I saw someone using a wetsuit as drysuit underwear, tells me that the person has no idea on how drysuit (and drysuit underwear) work.

Basically, it has to be the dumbest idea that I have ever seen.

Sorry. Didn't recognize the sarcasm. I agree it is the dumbest idea I've even heard also.

It's like asking how come you don't see hikers wearing neopreene sweaters.

Patagonia makes some really nice Polypro ski underwear that makes a nice inner layer. In the past I wore sweats over that and it worked pretty well. I think there are a lot of fleece garments that will also work well.

I bought extra thick thermomax undies at an army surplus store for $40. I've seen them in many Army Surplus stores. 2 colors. Black and Tan. They wick moisture and the fuzzy side goes against you skin while the slickish side is out which helps with unristricted airflow under the drysuit.

They are great down to about 50 degrees. Colder than that, I switch to my Bare CT200 undies.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom